Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: Feedback from fans of both edible and ornamental cabbage

Posted by hoe_hoe_hoe 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 05 at 16:58

So, I found this variegate cabbage in a 6 pack of cabbages for the vegetable garden. Appears to have stable variegation as it develops.

I may do some breeding work with it and was wondering who thought I should stay with strains of red cabbage for maximum edibility and who thought I should try to improve on the strains of ornamental cabbage that are already available.

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated red cabbage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: Feedback from fans of both edible and ornamental cab

It looks like kohlrabi.

I think all "ornamental" cabbage --kale-- is edible in the sense of being nourishing. It is, however, among my least favorite vegetables. Too strong for me.

o
The campus put in ornamental cabbage at the dorms

and one by one they disappeared. Someone was nipping them for dinner.
They were cut off too cleanly for rodentia. It was a student, I'm sure.

o

I remember the budget being kind of tight during my full time college stint, but geesh!!!! This offends my sensibility as a gardener! LOL!

Someone should have put up a camera.

I can just see the culprit on the defense stand, "Well, your honor. It was either swiping cabbages or swinging from a pole at the local strip joint."

o

I hope you'll post new picures as this plant develops. It is pretty. I'd like to see what becomes of it.

o

I love encountering ornamental cabbage because I get to make a joke about ornamental corn beef.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here