Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nanking Cherries How Close to Well

Posted by Zaxxon none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 17:15

I am putting in a fence around my yard (cedar posts/welded wire) and wanted to plant a nanking cherry hedge along the outside of it partially for a privacy barrier. There is a well head 7 feet out from the fence line. If I were to plant along the outside of the fence, the hedge would have to go between the fence and the well. To close? I am wondering what is the minimum distance I can plant a nanking cherry to the well. Also, how far from the fence should I plant them? Perhaps I will have to have the hedge on the inside of the fence? Or abandon the idea of a hedge altogether and plant a rose vine that will climb the fence in the area adjacent to the well... but would the rose be to close to the well too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nanking Cherries How Close to Well

The cherries are a hedge-type plant. You really can train and prune it as you see fit. Seven feet is absolutely no problem. After three or four years, my NC are only about 4' wide, and although they may get taller, I don't think I want them any wider.

o
RE: Nanking Cherries How Close to Well

Hi Drmbear,

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know that about the width. Let's say my hedge is four feet wide, then I would want a two foot space from the fence, so the bushes would be planted about 5 feet from the well head. I am actually not worried about the bush growing out, main concern is the roots doing damage to the well. I'm trying to get an idea of how far the roots will explore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here