Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Request ideas for Ozark edibles

Posted by treegal67 6b/AR (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 19:29

Hello, I'd love to hear suggestions for edible shrubs (edible to people,birds, goat and/or chicken fodder) for a fairly rocky Ozark site and tough soil in NW Arkansas zone 6b. Some for sun, some for shade and part shade, for various sites on my 3 acres. I'm looking for things that once started well, are fairly self sufficient.

I read so many edibles that seem to do well in the pacific NW but I don't know what to try here... If there's anyone out there in the Ozarks working with edibles I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in Advance!
Treegal67

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Request ideas for Ozark edibles

I feel you'd do well to take a look at a book by Lee Reich called "Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden". In contrast to so many other books that only deal with finicky edibles that need constant care or those that are only somewhat tasty the plants listed in this book are probably just what you're looking for: hardy, tasty, and do well under a variety of conditions. I found a copy at my local library.

o

Hi Treegal! Gardenweb also has a forum for gardening in the Ozarks that you may find helpful. There are several people there familiar with your rocky soil and hot, dry summers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozarks Region Gardening

o

A good shade(part to full) shrub/small tree that always reminds me of the Ozarks, is Lindera benzoin, or Spicebush. It can grow in ozark soil just fine too.
It has leaves that can be made into tea, I believe, and the berries are edible. The birds appreciate the berries as well and the butterflies appreciate the early spring flowers. It is also the hosplant for the Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly.
This Arky is posting from North Little Rock. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here