Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhummer

Black Cherry bush

greenhummer
19 years ago

Don't know where I got this but I have never seen one elsewhere. These blackcherries are emerald green when they are ripe ! Is this a new mutation ? I made cherry syrup last year and the black cherry taste was definitely there. If I find no answers here I will try submitting it to the University. Thanks for any help !

{{gwi:667629}}

Comments (32)

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here I cut one to show the ripen fruit

{{gwi:667631}}

• chills71
    19 years ago

are they sweet or sour? They look huge, how big is the bush?

Sorry, haven't seen anything like them.

~Chills

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

These are sweet and the bush is 7ft tall. The fruit is almost twice the size of a normal black cherry. Here is
    a picture just taken with the morning sunshine. I just
    finished pruning it back to 5ft.
    {{gwi:667633}}

• chills71
    19 years ago

Are you sure its a cherry? It almost sounds as though its a small plum. It looks (from the picture) a little like a japanese plum (at least what I can see of the leaves) If you figure out where you got it, let me know, sounds like something I would like to grow myself.

Or if possible could I request a few pits?

~Chills

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bush cherries and sand cherries both have the short leaves unlike the cherry trees which have long leaves. I didn't
    save any pits because I wanted to try some cuttings to clone the plant. So far I have two new plants with healthy roots.

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

Is the growth habit in canes? For example, a rasberry or blackberry grows from a crown. That bush you show really does look like it's growing from canes.

My first thought was that it looks like a plum, but plums are trees !

I think you have something rare here.

Want to sell a cutting?

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is a picture of the base, no cane here. Also the bark is like the bark on a trational cherry tree.
    {{gwi:667635}}

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

HEY !

Is that a runner or sucker or the main plant out behind it in the picture? Next to the house ! >>>>>>>

Dibs !! I call Dibs!

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry Jkirk that's a holly I started
    Here is a picture of the blooms
    {{gwi:667637}}

• ksrogers
    19 years ago

Looks like a very beautiful and hardy tree/bush. WIth fruits that size, and hopefully no diseases or insect problems, you have been lucky to find a cherry (?) that is suitable for zone 5. If you find out what the variety and name is, please post it here. From your closeup photo they look almost like the size of plums. Whatever it is, it would probably also grow well in zone 6 where I am.

• rainwytch
    19 years ago

Greenhummer, I'd love to know what you find out. I found some similar cherries in Woodland Park in Seattle. I was struck by their unusual color - green, dotted with purple and an almost bronze sheen. The tree was quite large and in a shaded area. I'll try to return soon for a photo.

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Rainwytch,I sent the information thatI have to the University to see if they have a clue. Would like to see that picture!

• lukifell
    19 years ago

Gosh ! Those cherries sure look neat. I suggest you guard your plant closely. Put a metal fence around it. If your " cherry bush " is unique you may be able to make some money off it. Either by selling cuttings yourself or by selling the " rights " to distribute it to a professional nursery. I'm not sure of the legal procedures.

You sure don't want someone else to get ahold of your unique plant and start selling it. They will make all the money that should rightfully be yours.

You can even name it after yourself !

Is this cherry bush self-pollinating ?

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for commenting lukifell. If the plant is a known species then I will share with those who already asked. If it is a new species then I will go the legal route and considering using the proceeds to Charity. Yes, the bush is self pollinating. At present three universities are researching the info I sent out.

• october17
    19 years ago

Can u post a new pic? I couldn't see any of the old ones. Have you found anything out yet? I LOVE CHERRIES! Would love to grow some. Thanks!

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Moved pictures,here is one of the fruit. Definitely something new. I am sending samples to the University next year at their request. Don't have any news at this time.

{{gwi:667639}}

{{gwi:667641}}

• lynnt
    19 years ago

Can you repost pictures of the bush itself, please? Can't see any photos before the fruit shots -- and I'd LOVE to help track this one down!

Lynn

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is a picture of the blooms. I will post more when I find them .

{{gwi:667643}}

• Eggo
    19 years ago

Those are some unique looking cherries. Great jade color. I'll buy them if I see it in the stores.

• SusanC
    19 years ago

Maybe a cherry-plum hybrid; The variety "Dura" has greenish skin and purple flesh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry-plum hybrids

• greenhummer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Susan, that's the closest description I've seen to date. Here is another picture after pruning

{{gwi:667646}}

• diane4m
    16 years ago

Did anyone ever follow up on the black cherry bush? Do you know what it is? Is it available anywhere?
    I would Love to have one
    Thanks for any info

• clarkster7777
    16 years ago

I think it is possible this could be a variation of Prunus cerasifera. The bark, flowers and fruit are similar. The fruit on this bush are very unusual in size and color. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_cerasifera

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

greenhummer,

Did you find out what cherry it was? I am a cherry (especially black cherry) freak since my Daddy gave me my first taste of black cherry ice cream when I was very young.

I must have at least 1 of these.

Thanks,

Betty

• thisisme
    16 years ago

I hope we find out what this is and that it can be grown in Arizona. I love cherries but none that I know of do well here.

If this can grow and produce cherries here all I can really add to the discussion is; I want one I want one and of course where can I buy one?

• thisisme
    16 years ago

I think I may have found the answer to your question.

Prunus salicifolia "CAPULIN CHERRY" (also known as the tropical cherry)

I am going to get one of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay link to this tree

• chills71
    16 years ago

sorry thisisme, but that cherry you found is only hardy to 25 degrees and I can tell you it definitely gets colder than that in Ohio (where the original poster was located)

~Chills

• dangelo_jim_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Did you ever find out what kind of cherry you have?

• mudflapper
    15 years ago

I agree with Chills, after finding a picture of the fruit doing a Google search, I have to say it is not a Caupulin Cherry: whatever it is, when it comes on the market I WILL BUY ONE!
    Ken

• diaryofablossom
    15 years ago

I seen these fruit before and have pick some along the way when I was younger. I do not know the real name of them but they are Cherry-Plum. They are yummy and your lucky to have one!

• gypsysunrise
    15 years ago

Unique! Would love to have one of these shrubs, whatever they happen to be! lol

• norski1
    14 years ago

Where are you Greenhummer and what ever has happened to further information pertaining to the black cherry bush?
    Thank You!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert