Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Cherry bush

Posted by greenhummer zone 5,Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 04 at 20:17

Don't know where I got this but I have never seen one elsewhere. These blackcherries are emerald green when they are ripe ! Is this a new mutation ? I made cherry syrup last year and the black cherry taste was definitely there. If I find no answers here I will try submitting it to the University. Thanks for any help !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Cherry bush

Here I cut one to show the ripen fruit

o

are they sweet or sour? They look huge, how big is the bush?

Sorry, haven't seen anything like them.

~Chills

o

These are sweet and the bush is 7ft tall. The fruit is almost twice the size of a normal black cherry. Here is
a picture just taken with the morning sunshine. I just
finished pruning it back to 5ft.

o

• Posted by Chills 6b (??) Mi (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 04 at 17:24

Are you sure its a cherry? It almost sounds as though its a small plum. It looks (from the picture) a little like a japanese plum (at least what I can see of the leaves) If you figure out where you got it, let me know, sounds like something I would like to grow myself.

Or if possible could I request a few pits?

~Chills

o

Bush cherries and sand cherries both have the short leaves unlike the cherry trees which have long leaves. I didn't
save any pits because I wanted to try some cuttings to clone the plant. So far I have two new plants with healthy roots.

o

Is the growth habit in canes? For example, a rasberry or blackberry grows from a crown. That bush you show really does look like it's growing from canes.

My first thought was that it looks like a plum, but plums are trees !

I think you have something rare here.

Want to sell a cutting?

o

Here is a picture of the base, no cane here. Also the bark is like the bark on a trational cherry tree.

o

HEY !

Is that a runner or sucker or the main plant out behind it in the picture? Next to the house ! >>>>>>>

Dibs !! I call Dibs!

o

Sorry Jkirk that's a holly I started
Here is a picture of the blooms

o

Looks like a very beautiful and hardy tree/bush. WIth fruits that size, and hopefully no diseases or insect problems, you have been lucky to find a cherry (?) that is suitable for zone 5. If you find out what the variety and name is, please post it here. From your closeup photo they look almost like the size of plums. Whatever it is, it would probably also grow well in zone 6 where I am.

o

Greenhummer, I'd love to know what you find out. I found some similar cherries in Woodland Park in Seattle. I was struck by their unusual color - green, dotted with purple and an almost bronze sheen. The tree was quite large and in a shaded area. I'll try to return soon for a photo.

o

Thanks Rainwytch,I sent the information thatI have to the University to see if they have a clue. Would like to see that picture!

o

Gosh ! Those cherries sure look neat. I suggest you guard your plant closely. Put a metal fence around it. If your " cherry bush " is unique you may be able to make some money off it. Either by selling cuttings yourself or by selling the " rights " to distribute it to a professional nursery. I'm not sure of the legal procedures.

You sure don't want someone else to get ahold of your unique plant and start selling it. They will make all the money that should rightfully be yours.

You can even name it after yourself !

Is this cherry bush self-pollinating ?

o

Thanks for commenting lukifell. If the plant is a known species then I will share with those who already asked. If it is a new species then I will go the legal route and considering using the proceeds to Charity. Yes, the bush is self pollinating. At present three universities are researching the info I sent out.

o

Can u post a new pic? I couldn't see any of the old ones. Have you found anything out yet? I LOVE CHERRIES! Would love to grow some. Thanks!

o

Moved pictures,here is one of the fruit. Definitely something new. I am sending samples to the University next year at their request. Don't have any news at this time.

o

• Posted by LynnT Z6A MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 17, 04 at 16:03

Can you repost pictures of the bush itself, please? Can't see any photos before the fruit shots -- and I'd LOVE to help track this one down!

Lynn

o

Here is a picture of the blooms. I will post more when I find them .

o

• Posted by Eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 23, 04 at 2:26

Those are some unique looking cherries. Great jade color. I'll buy them if I see it in the stores.

o

• Posted by SusanC Z9/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 31, 04 at 12:20

Maybe a cherry-plum hybrid; The variety "Dura" has greenish skin and purple flesh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry-plum hybrids

o

Thanks Susan, that's the closest description I've seen to date. Here is another picture after pruning

o

Did anyone ever follow up on the black cherry bush? Do you know what it is? Is it available anywhere?
I would Love to have one
Thanks for any info

o

I think it is possible this could be a variation of Prunus cerasifera. The bark, flowers and fruit are similar. The fruit on this bush are very unusual in size and color. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_cerasifera

o

greenhummer,

Did you find out what cherry it was? I am a cherry (especially black cherry) freak since my Daddy gave me my first taste of black cherry ice cream when I was very young.

I must have at least 1 of these.

Thanks,

Betty

o

I hope we find out what this is and that it can be grown in Arizona. I love cherries but none that I know of do well here.

If this can grow and produce cherries here all I can really add to the discussion is; I want one I want one and of course where can I buy one?

o

I think I may have found the answer to your question.

Prunus salicifolia "CAPULIN CHERRY" (also known as the tropical cherry)

I am going to get one of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay link to this tree

o

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 11:52

sorry thisisme, but that cherry you found is only hardy to 25 degrees and I can tell you it definitely gets colder than that in Ohio (where the original poster was located)

~Chills

o

Did you ever find out what kind of cherry you have?

o

I agree with Chills, after finding a picture of the fruit doing a Google search, I have to say it is not a Caupulin Cherry: whatever it is, when it comes on the market I WILL BUY ONE!
Ken

o

I seen these fruit before and have pick some along the way when I was younger. I do not know the real name of them but they are Cherry-Plum. They are yummy and your lucky to have one!

o

Unique! Would love to have one of these shrubs, whatever they happen to be! lol

o

Where are you Greenhummer and what ever has happened to further information pertaining to the black cherry bush?
Thank You!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here