o
Flower

Posted by ChicagoDeli37 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 21:11

How do I eat this not even sure if know what it is

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower

It's nasturtium... the entire plant is edible (flowers, leaves, stems) I use it in a salad mix. The flowers are very spicy. People cook them also though.

o

I just read you can make a tea out of the flowers for headaches. It has a peppery taste. Used fresh in salads. It is a climber. Provide it with a trellis and enjoy a multitude of flowers.

o

Nasturtiums are more scramblers than climbers and don't have tendrils or other way of clinging. Some are bush varieties and do not produce runners. We eat them a lot in salads. The flowers taste rather different from the leaves. Don't put the flowers in the salad spinner as they will bruise badly. Leave them until the last minute before adding to your salad.

o

these are excellent! They make a nice jelly if you are into making jelly - for toast - don't have the kick to them as if eating them fresh and the jelly makes a nice orange color. I read that if you fertilize these plants you will not get all the flowers so don't fertilize. The hummingbirds love these plants so they are just a big hit around our house. And yes you can eat the whole flower, stem etc. Try them you will like them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here