Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodground

What can I plant in NJ?

goodground
19 years ago

I'm moving to my new home on the 1st of July. What are my options to begin gardening? I have a large garden with extra planting room in full sun, partial, and full shade areas. The more edibles I can plant, the better :)

Thanks

Comments (7)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Where in New Jersey? Note that New Jersey isn't called "The Garden State" for nuthin'. :-P

Note that many of the summer fruits and veggies that fluffians like myself enjoyed over many many years, came from Jersey - blueberries do well, tomatoes (of course), corn, peaches - much of this coming from South Jersey.

• goodground
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm gonna be moving to Oak Ridge, it's in Jefferson Township (Morris County).

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Up in North Jersey. ;-)

You should still be good with all sorts of things including what I listed. You can make a nice bed for the summer veggies in the sun and even try grapes. You can grow strawberries in sun or part sun. Also fruit trees like peaches, pears, apples, cherries, and plums. It all depends on how much work you want to go through to prepare for what you want to grow and also guard against the critters that might eat your harvest before you do (ie., deer, racoons, squirrels, skunk, ground hogs, rabbits, chipmunks, moles, voles, and even Canada geese - which I noticed seem to hang out in North Jersey 'burbs...lol). :-) This means you may want to consider fencing, netting, and other deterrants as part of your planning.

• goodground
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Jenny, I will look into all of the fruit trees you mentioned. Will they survive outdoors in the winter here?

• David Christopher
    19 years ago

I live in Central NJ, and here's a list of the edibles I have growing and thriving on my 1 acre:

Fruits:
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Strawberries
    Mulberry trees

Overwinter-able veggies:
    Spinach
    Onions
    Garlic

Spring/Summer/Fall veggies:
    Tomatoes
    Peppers
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Carrots
    Lettuce
    Radishes
    Turnips
    Watermelon
    Muskmelon/Cantoloupe
    Squash
    Green Peas
    Beans

This is what I've grown successfully, and that's pretty much all I've ever tried. Basically, in zone 6 NJ, you can grow pretty much ANYTHING, except citrus and tropicals perhaps (even with some exceptions).

Welcome to the Garden State!

Dave NJ

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Paul - yes, all of those fruit trees will do just fine where you are.

As Dave said - welcome to the "Garden State". :-)

• bobbabcock
    19 years ago

I just ate through a beautiful bunch of grapes from a friend's home in Williamsburg Brooklyn (seems they're from vines planted when the home was built around 1906- over a foot thick at the ground). I kept a bunch of the seeds. I live in Morris County. Any ideas as to when I should plant them in my area?

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz