Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I plant in NJ?

Posted by goodground z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 04 at 21:34

I'm moving to my new home on the 1st of July. What are my options to begin gardening? I have a large garden with extra planting room in full sun, partial, and full shade areas. The more edibles I can plant, the better :)
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I plant in NJ?

Where in New Jersey? Note that New Jersey isn't called "The Garden State" for nuthin'. :-P

Note that many of the summer fruits and veggies that fluffians like myself enjoyed over many many years, came from Jersey - blueberries do well, tomatoes (of course), corn, peaches - much of this coming from South Jersey.

o

I'm gonna be moving to Oak Ridge, it's in Jefferson Township (Morris County).

o

Up in North Jersey. ;-)

You should still be good with all sorts of things including what I listed. You can make a nice bed for the summer veggies in the sun and even try grapes. You can grow strawberries in sun or part sun. Also fruit trees like peaches, pears, apples, cherries, and plums. It all depends on how much work you want to go through to prepare for what you want to grow and also guard against the critters that might eat your harvest before you do (ie., deer, racoons, squirrels, skunk, ground hogs, rabbits, chipmunks, moles, voles, and even Canada geese - which I noticed seem to hang out in North Jersey 'burbs...lol). :-) This means you may want to consider fencing, netting, and other deterrants as part of your planning.

o

Thanks Jenny, I will look into all of the fruit trees you mentioned. Will they survive outdoors in the winter here?

o

I live in Central NJ, and here's a list of the edibles I have growing and thriving on my 1 acre:

Fruits:
Blueberries
Raspberries
Blackberries
Strawberries
Mulberry trees

Overwinter-able veggies:
Spinach
Onions
Garlic

Spring/Summer/Fall veggies:
Tomatoes
Peppers
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots
Lettuce
Radishes
Turnips
Watermelon
Muskmelon/Cantoloupe
Squash
Green Peas
Beans

This is what I've grown successfully, and that's pretty much all I've ever tried. Basically, in zone 6 NJ, you can grow pretty much ANYTHING, except citrus and tropicals perhaps (even with some exceptions).

Welcome to the Garden State!

Dave NJ

o

Paul - yes, all of those fruit trees will do just fine where you are.

As Dave said - welcome to the "Garden State". :-)

o

I just ate through a beautiful bunch of grapes from a friend's home in Williamsburg Brooklyn (seems they're from vines planted when the home was built around 1906- over a foot thick at the ground). I kept a bunch of the seeds. I live in Morris County. Any ideas as to when I should plant them in my area?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here