Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
downspout edible gardens?

Posted by Janebeth PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 22:00

Thanks to an awesome program run by my local water department, I am about to get a large downspout planter box. When I mentioned to the guy doing the site assessment I planned to put tomatoes in the planter box, he said that vegetables (or any edible plants) should not be grown in downspout planters. When I pressed him, he didn't have much to say.

So, collective wisdom, is this a good idea or not? The water would be draining from the front half of my house; part of that area has a newer white roof, the other part has traditional flat-roof material. As it is the same rain that falls on my other vegetables, I can't see what the problem would be, unless the roofing materials contribute some contaminant (but since no one tells you not to water your edibles with rainbarrel water, I still am not seeing what the issue is).

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: downspout edible gardens?

If your house has asphalt shingles, they may be treated with cheminals to prevent algae or prevent sun damage. If you have old gutters they may have lead solder. I don't know if the plants would take up the chemicals and hurt you but you might want to research the material of the roof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here