Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Made Serviceberry Jam...Great!

Posted by angel_z5 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 22:30

My 15yr old son, and I made serviceberry jam today for the first time. We have three trees we planted out back, about 8 years ago, and we have picked the berries every year. I thought about making jam out of them last year, so I bought some small jars and pectin, and got some recipes from surejell and other websites. For some reason I did not do it. One only gets the best berries for about a week though, as the birds will be after them also.

But this year we did it. My son helped me pick the best berries, mashed them up and stirred them on the stove, but no help in cleaning up. (ohwell).

It was great! He really enjoyed it as well...maybe more than me. I was a bit clumsy as I had never done it before, and was kind of going by two recipes, but it worked out well. We did the low sugar version and it is still plenty sweet. It was more or less a small run, as the two 8oz jars will last us a long time.

The seed hardness seems to vary from year to year. This year they were about average. Though my son commented that he could not taste them in the jam.

I highly recommend it to anyone. Lots of recipes out there.

It was so cool to pick them and 45 minutes later be spreading jam on toast. Fresh, no preservatives, no artificial this, or that either, for that matter! Edible landscaping at it's best.

Always an. . .Angel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Made Serviceberry Jam...Great!

Serviceberries make an awesome pancake syrup, too - look for a recipe that uses pectin, but much less than you would use for jam or jelly. There are other recipes that use cornstarch, but they don't taste as good, and I wouldn't want to can them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here