fruit trees. have some wonderful loquat trees in town, and
thought I would start by sprouting seeds from my favorite
trees.

any advice on how long to wait before planting them,
and other tips from the experienced fruit tree
experts here?

this week planted two mulberry trees, and two
fig trees. and have access to many fig trees I plan
to practice air-layering (propagation) on.

for all our sacred relations,

Millennium Twain

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Consciousness, Our Blue Star ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouting Loquat Seeds

Here what the LSU Ag guys say.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: LSU Ag / Loquats

o

Amanogawa,

I would agree with the information in the link BigEasyJock provides -- plant your loquat seeds immediately. If the seeds dry out, the plant embryos within will probably die.

Most of my loquat grafting attempts have been made with bud-shield grafts -- but I've gotten very low success rates using this method. Some suggest that it is better to employ whole-scion grafts (cleft or whip), using material from twig terminals -- and I think that I may try using this method more in the future. The one time I used it in the past, I got fairly good results.

o

Hi - some Australian advice - eat the fruit and then push them into the soil where you want them to grow.

There's a wild loquat on a creek bed near my place - I picked the fruit and ate it (to the amazement of She Who Must Be Obeyed) and pushed one seed in the soil at the front of the house, one at the back fence and one on the side fence - I now have three seedlings coping quite well with the mess I have to call soil here.

enjoy

o

• Posted by macd London UK (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 6:46

My garden is full of Loquat trees, which I am using as underplanting to a deciduous hedge, which they will eventualy replace. I planted the seeds fresh from the fruit, directly into the ground, and they have grown relentlessly throughout the winter months. I have also grown them in pots, but had trouble transplanting them because of the large and brittle tap-root.

o

I have recently planted 49 seedlings, 42 fruits, and about 300 seeds. I have them all under the same conditions and will be monitoring them on a daily basis. This will be my first atempt for loquats, so hoefuly it will be a success. I will kep you posted on my progress. I can provide one good tip though. I have found that it is best to grow your specimens in the same environment that they will be planted in.

o

How long does it take before germinating? I want to grow more off of the one I have.

o

Our single tree drops its fruit and seedlings sprout naturally. We just ate a delicious loquat pie topped with whipped cream.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here