Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paw Paw diseases

Posted by rqhansen 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 23:25

I got 3 of Neal Petersons Paw Paws 3 years ago. This year, they even bloomed, then 2 of them the leaves shriveled up, turned black, and the trees are apparently dead. Any ideas? We did get a lot of heavy rain this spring. The one that is alive is doing great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paw Paw diseases

They may not be 'dead', but you may have lost the grafted variety. I've had established seedlings and established graftlings do the same thing - they rock along seemingly just fine for a couple or three years, then die back to the ground - and start throwing up new shoots. I have no explanation for why it happens, it just does.

o

Maybe ask Peterson. (Maybe (???) he'll replace them.) Or at least explain it?

If you do, please let us know what he says!

Ann

o

Thanks for the information Lucky, thats what I thought might be the case. I will wait and see if I get any runners from teh plants. I have not seen any yet but will wait and see. My brother in Topeka, KS is having a similar problem with the leaves blackening and dying with whole branches dying. But he has portions of the trees that are doing just fine with fruit set. His are seedling trees.

I guess I will just have to get them again, although Peterson Paw Paws is probably no longer in existence. I will try to find them elsewhere.

Ann, I doubt Peterson will replace them, I hear he has some health issues and his website is currently down.

o

• Posted by nick123 z4b / sunset 44 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 2:34

Paw Paws can get black knot which can kill whole branches.

o

Petersons website is up...seems like he's OK, FYI. Just his supply for next year is not known yet.

o

Thanks for the update on Peterson, I hope I can get more of them next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here