Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eweir_gw

Anyone have advice on public gardening?

eweir
18 years ago

I am originally from North Dakota, where my summer memories are full of gardening. I have moved to Cambridge, MA and realized how hungry I am to get my hands in the dirt! I do not have space to garden at home, so I wanted to join a co-op or public garden so I can return to my roots, spend some time outside and grow some veggies! I haven't gardened in a long time, and would need some guidance. Does anyone know of a garden in the Cambridge, MA area that is looking for volunteers?

Comments (8)

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

You might try moving this to the appropriate regional forum. If it's like MAG, you'll find people interested in all kinds of gardening, and have a better chance that someone will know of such a garden. Good luck!

• lpinkmountain
    18 years ago

I'd check with the local cooperative extension service. They have a Master Gardeners program and the gardeners have to put in a certain amount of volunteer time. So people there may have some ideas of where you could volunteer. Also, check out any arboretums in your area. Or you could volunteer to create a small garden at a local school, library, day care or senior center, etc. Keep it small and simple though, don't get too ambitious. I once volunteered to create a garden at a local kid's day camp. You can do a lot with a little bit of space.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

and if you are involved with public gardening always plant extra as some will always disappear.

• billhoo
    18 years ago

I too have the hankering for gardening to the point of wanting to buy a farm. However, since I have a pretty decent salary working in Manhattan, I'm not ready to give up my day job.

Still, considering that here in the northeast there is a great deal of urbanization and all NJ's farmland seems to be turning into condos... I was wondering if there is a market for recreational gardening.

ie. take some acreage and divided it into plots that people can rent for agricultural use. Not big lots, maybe 1/10 of an acre. Larger plots if someone wants to keep small animals, like a henhouse.

If having time to water and such is a problem, a sprinkler system could be installed at extra cost. Maybe some "farm hands" could be hired for a small fee to help tend the plots during the work week (for those of us who only have weekends free).

Think there's a market?

• theinfamousj
    18 years ago

--Think there's a market?--

Yes. After all, look at the success of community gardens which is essentially what you are proposing (minus the henhouse, sprinkler system, and farm hands).

• goodground
    18 years ago

I think it would depend on lot sizes and pricing. I suppose it would be mostly people that don't own homes or those that are looking for more planting space. Keep in mind that the planting is seasonal. Now if you want to throw some money into the project, build green houses. Nice large lot for clear view of the sun. Supply electrical, water, etc. to the units. I wouldn't mind renting a personal greenhouse :)

Keep in mind that growing is a hobby, so I'm not sure how many of us would want the work done for us. But if the renters are selling what they are planting then it may be a different story.

• farmfreedom
    18 years ago

They have at least 2 community gardens in the Boston area .The plots seem to be 20' x 20' and they are rented for the year . There is one near the Fenway and another South of Franklin park . Check with the park dept and city hall . In a comunity garden I used in Brockton, Ma. 2 legged preditors stole everything I left there : buckets ,water , plants , vegetables, even my plot . animals and vandals also did a job so the state closed the garden . I am told it is against the law to trap animals on state land in Mass.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

a tangent...

Here is a link that might be useful: Community Gardens - The DO's and DON'T's - Part 1

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022