Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kiwis from seeds

Posted by paradisi Sunshine Coast (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 8:24

How easy is it to grow kiwi fruit from seed?

I tried what i did with passionfruit (cut the fruit in half and buried each half in a different part of the garden - hundreds of seedlings) but haven't got a sprout yet.

any hints on what to do??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kiwis from seeds

no clue- I've got two young ones, one of which I bought off the web, and one I took a cutting.

I'm not sure that kiwi seeds are particularly fertile- otherwise, I'd have lots of them in my compost heap by the end of the season (like the melons that sprouted there.)

o

• Posted by Chills 6b (??) Mi (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 21:41

I've had no problem growing kiwi from seed. I sift them out, let em dry for a day or two and then water and keep em moist. Took about 1-2 months for germination if I recall.

I've got 4-5 from storebought seed in their third year.

~Chills

o

My mum's hopeless at growing seeds, but a few years ago put some seeds from a kiwi fruit she'd eaten in a pot of soil and they sprouted into healthy plants. They've not flowered, but they've grown huge and the foliage is lovely against their trellis.

So it's worth a try I think. :)
Melanie

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 4, 05 at 8:42

I germinate fuzzy kiwis in an acidic soiless medium with the baggie method. Clean the kiwi seeds & place them in a baggie of medium. It will take a long time about a month, but they should germinate. There are about 800 seeds/fuzzy kiwi, so you should get many sprouts. The sprouts are delicate, so they need to be watched when young.
Cold hardy kiwi can not be germinated this way they need cold stratification.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here