Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Blackberries and Raspberries is Summer or Fall

Posted by Drome z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 03 at 8:32

I'd like to get an early start on blackberries and raspberries for next year, but I'm not sure if I should bother planting this time of year or later in the fall, or if should I just wait until spring.

For blackberries, some local nurseries currently have some Marionberries and Loganberries. I can also order other varieties on the web from Edible Landscaping (www.eat-it.com).

For raspberries, Edible Landscaping has some too, and I have a friend willing me to give me some canes from her garden.

Should I plant now, or should I wait until fall, or until spring?

Are there any particular varieties of either that can produce well in the first year they're planted?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Blackberries and Raspberries is Summer or Fall

• Posted by Kate1 8 Washington (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 03 at 1:55

I know you can plant raspberries anytime around here. You just need to keep them watered until fall. Make sure when you take canes from others gardens that the variety is one that you will really like to grow. When I moved into my place it was just a grown over mess with some straggly raspberry canes here and there. Having 2 huge lots without plants to fill it up with I dug the stray canes up and started a raspberry patch. Well that was 6 years ago and I know have a row of canes 20 feet long. I get tons of berries but I do believe they came from a variety that were bred to store or ship better than many of the better tasting canes available now.I can pick a bowl of these things and 2 days later they are still in good shape just sitting on the counter. They don't taste bad but they certainly don't have the flavor of some i have tasted. If I was ever to move and start over I wouldn't replant these canes. I have given 100's of canes away to people and none of them have complained but the way I see it is "why not start with the very best" You don't need to buy too many canes to end up with more than you need in a year or two so the cost isn't a big factor.
Raintree Nursery in Morton, Washington is a good place to buy fruit trees and other goodies that do well in Western Washington.They have good information on growing too.
I am not sure that the Spelling is correct (Raintree) but I bet if you look it up you can find it on the web.

o
RE: Planting Blackberries and Raspberries is Summer or Fall

if you live in southern calif where the temp are in the high 70s wait until sept-mar to plant your blackberries...in the meantime compost and prepare the soil for the dec-jan planting....hope this helps...jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here