Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helianthus / Sunchoke

Posted by bjoy z5 Mich (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 8:46

I have Helianthus (false sunflower) growing in my yard. Is this the same Helianthus as sunchokes? Are the tubers of all varieties edible? It would be great if they were because this plant is taking over!

Thanks B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helianthus / Sunchoke

Yes. It is called Jerusalem artichoke, also called Sun Chokes. They are edible. Dig them up in fall and boil the tuber like potatoes. not much taste, except there is no starch in the tubers. I have some in my garden. They are kinda invasive... multiplies fast. Good luck

o

You're going to have to be more specific, as there are dozens of species of Helianthus. Some are small and look more like black-eyed susan, while others grow quite tall but don't produce the characteristic tubers of sunchokes. True sunchokes grow approximately 6-8 ft tall in thick stands as the tubers multiply. I'd just dig some up this fall and see what the roots look like to be sure.

o

• Posted by bjoy z5 Mich (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 11:17

Thanks, I'll dig some in the fall and check it out. These are about 6' tall with yellow flowers in September.

o

• Posted by scot z5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 20:01

if they do turn out to be correct, i have not been a fan of cooking them, but love them raw and plan to try pickles this fall. i made wine,,,,,,,,,,,dont do that. it took 1 year bulk and 3 years in the bottle to be "good"

o

I am very happy with the Stampede variety in terms of growth habit, productivity, and taste. I eat the peeled tubers raw and enjoy the sweet and crunchy taste. I have a patch surrounded by lawn and they stay confined within that boundary. I consider running bamboo, tartarian aster, cinnamon vine, bouncing bet, creeping charlie, and ribbon grass to be far worse invasives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here