Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edible Landscape Design- Input Wanted!

Posted by JaimeeG Urbana, IL zone 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 9:24

I'm new to this, but it's always been a dream. I would love to walk around my property and pick things to eat. I would like my kids to run around outside and get snacks. And I would like to grow enough produce for my family to eat from early spring to late fall. We just purchased a new house in a development, but it has a fairly large yard. I finally convinced my husband to sacrifice most of the grass to the project- yay! I've mapped it out and put in my ideas so far. I would LOVE feedback about design, placement, types of plants, anything! Really I'm open to all ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger View of Landscape Design

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edible Landscape Design- Input Wanted!

Check this link out....see what path the sun travels in your yard, you can even search by date to find what path during winter and such. Then plant accordingly.

Here is a link that might be useful: suncalc.net

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 12:56

What a great plan --

some simple suggestions:
Do track the shade from the trees. Trees grow and over time they will provide more shade. We live in a clearing in the woods, so after 19 years of gardening along our driveway in the clearing we have a lot less full sun areas.

strawberries can be groundcover under a row of blueberries

a vegetable garden around an existing tree can be trouble as the tree steals moisture & nutrients from the vegetables as well as spreads roots in the veg bed -- raised soil over tree roots spells trouble for the tree

o

Recommend clumps of Autumn Brilliance (Amalanchier x Grandiflora). Beautiful white blossoms in May, then great sweet berries in June. Nice gray bark in winter. The leaves never have needed to be raked up. Grow to only about 15ft high, and make a great screen. Check out pictures of them on the internet. They are native to your area. Kids and I and birds love the berries. They look like blueberries but are much sweeter and tastier. You can get them at your local nursery.

Alwaya an Angel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here