Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

My first EL attempt

gcmastiffs
17 years ago

This is Fruit Tree Hill, my first attempt at planting edibles as "landscaping." The plants are not as crowded as they appear in pictures, there is room to walk around them easily.

In this picture are various Musas, Papayas, Kampong Mauve Sugar Apple, three-lobed Chaya (Spinach tree), and "Florida Sweet" Barbados Cherry

{{gwi:668074}}

This shows the room underneath. Papayas, Red Lime, Musas, Sapodilla. Many-lobed Chaya, Cinnamon, Mamey Sapote (which will eventually tower over everything else) and non-edible TriColor Stromanthe.

{{gwi:668076}}

The same section, front view. The Ice Cream Mango on the left will be removed-it needs more direct sun.

{{gwi:668078}}

What you can't see in the photos, are the Tamarillo, Coffee Arabicas and Ae Ae Musa. They are lurking in the shade of the tall Bananas. Easy to see when you walk up to the hill, but invisible in pictures.

Yes, I meant it to look like a tropical jungle(G).

Lisa

Comments (9)

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gee, it must look like kaka, to get such a response.

Thus, I banish this post to never never land..

I won't bother the "Edible Landscape" forum again, with an edible landscape.. The nerve!

Auuuhhhh...gone....

Lisa

• dannyboquet
    17 years ago

Lisa,

Don't be offended. This forum is not very active. I check it every couple of weeks. I'm sure a lot of people have seen your pictures, but just have not taken the time to post back. I, for one, enjoyed the pictures. The plants looked healthy and well maintained. It does look very tropical and lush.

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not offended, I was just joking around on a boring afternoon. I wish this forum was more active, as I'd really like to see the Edible Landscapes of others. I bought two books on the subject, but they are geared more towards northern plants/plantings.

Have any photos of edible plantings to share?

Lisa

• dannyboquet
    17 years ago

I need to borrow my daughter's digital camera and take some smapshots to post. I don't really plant in a landscaping way, but I do try to make the "orchard" look neat. If the rain stops long enough for me to cut the grass, I will try this weekend.

• floridajane
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    Now look at that-- I've caught another Florida gardener forum-hopping! Your edible landscaping looks GREAT! Did you envision that eventual wonderful mix of tiers and textures when planting or was it just killer good luck that everything grew up so beautifully together? I've got a very long chain-link fence to cover so perhaps you can give me some tips on creative companion planting?!

--Jane

• jhl1654
    17 years ago

Lisa
    I always love to look at your pics. You like some of the same tropical fruit trees as I do. I've been learning from you about what can be grown in Florida . I especially like your container gardening pics

• origamifox
    17 years ago

Hey Lisa,

Don't usually read this forum, but your edible garden is AWESOME!! Would you be willing to share some of your 3-lobed chaya? I'm interested in trying to grow it here in zone 5. I do have access to a greenhouse for overwintering. Just let me know if you could mail me a cutting or so.

Thanks!
    Beth

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beth, yes I can mail you some. We have a hurricane coming, so I'll need to mail quickly. The Chayas may be history by midweek.

Email me your address at GCMastiffs at aol dot com.

Lisa

• origamifox
    17 years ago

Lisa,

Thanks so much! I've sent you an email. Keeping my fingers crossed that the hurricane fizzles out before it reaches land!

Beth

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals