Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenfromhingham

'Emergency' situation:How quickly will highbush blueberries grow?

karenfromhingham
14 years ago

Hi everybody. I am back from a long online hiatus and used to hang out almost exclusively in Compost/Mulch so I'm a newbie here.

DH and I have been slowly introducing or reviving existing edible plants in our yard over time but I've run into a suburban "emergency" that's forcing me to jump further down my "to do" list!

Yesterday, neighbors cut down a number of mature trees along the property line and have eliminated a lot of our privacy. This has also changed the microenvironment of one area of our yard from fairly heavy understory shade to a mix of full sun/dappled shade. So, we're staring at each other now -- and I have a beautiful, uninterrupted sightline to busy Route 228 from my garden I didn't have before -- and I'm getting ready for the maintenance involved in battling weeds along a formerly shady and unweedy little pathway-under-trees that boasted a border of shade loving native things. I hope they continue. : (

However, the upshot is that I maybe able to grow fruiting bushes for a screen, now! I would like to grow highbush blueberries but do need to get some privacy back asap. The lay of the land is such that we are higher than they are and they can look right out their bedroom windows into our backyard and back of the house.

So my question is, how quickly can I REALISTICALLY expect highbush blueberries to grow? My preferred site is under a row of limbed-up maple trees and behind rhodies and azaleas at the back of a mixed mass planting. This area gets light shade from the maples overhanging but, now, full sun from behind.

I have plans to plant hb blueberries, anyway/as well, in an open full-sun area, but am trying to figure out if I can use them in this spot, too, to make a privacy hedge, or if I need to include something else for quick height.

Thank you!

-Karen

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor