Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Emergency' situation:How quickly will highbush blueberries grow?

Posted by karenfromhingham 6a MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 11:18

Hi everybody. I am back from a long online hiatus and used to hang out almost exclusively in Compost/Mulch so I'm a newbie here.

DH and I have been slowly introducing or reviving existing edible plants in our yard over time but I've run into a suburban "emergency" that's forcing me to jump further down my "to do" list!

Yesterday, neighbors cut down a number of mature trees along the property line and have eliminated a lot of our privacy. This has also changed the microenvironment of one area of our yard from fairly heavy understory shade to a mix of full sun/dappled shade. So, we're staring at each other now -- and I have a beautiful, uninterrupted sightline to busy Route 228 from my garden I didn't have before -- and I'm getting ready for the maintenance involved in battling weeds along a formerly shady and unweedy little pathway-under-trees that boasted a border of shade loving native things. I hope they continue. : (

However, the upshot is that I maybe able to grow fruiting bushes for a screen, now! I would like to grow highbush blueberries but do need to get some privacy back asap. The lay of the land is such that we are higher than they are and they can look right out their bedroom windows into our backyard and back of the house.

So my question is, how quickly can I REALISTICALLY expect highbush blueberries to grow? My preferred site is under a row of limbed-up maple trees and behind rhodies and azaleas at the back of a mixed mass planting. This area gets light shade from the maples overhanging but, now, full sun from behind.

I have plans to plant hb blueberries, anyway/as well, in an open full-sun area, but am trying to figure out if I can use them in this spot, too, to make a privacy hedge, or if I need to include something else for quick height.

Thank you!

-Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Emergency' situation:How quickly will highbush blueberries g

Karen, Can you copy and paste this question on the Fruit and orchard forum for people like Eric to answer this question? I bought 3 half high blueberry bushes this year, so I can not answer this for you. (If you had a little more time to let them a mature height, lilacs are great hedges. Lilacs like alkaline soil though. Kiwis or some erect blackberry bushes might grow faster. The people on the orchard forum can suggest ton more ideas for hedges to go with the blueberry bushes. Just tell them how tall of a hedge.)

o

Thank you for the suggestion. I will.

And, btw, yes I LOVE lilacs and have a nice one growing out front. I may put more in somewhere but this area had many mature pines growing in it, so the soil's got to be pretty acidic.

o

You'll be waiting a long time to get any privacy from slow growing blueberry plants (at least 7-10 years under ideal conditions?). Trellised plants, such as trailing blackberries (e.g., Triple Crown), hardy kiwi and hops (which will fill an arbor or trellis fast) will provide you with much quicker privacy in non-winter months. You could also plant some quick growing privacy trees (thuja, etc.) as temporary screening until you fruiting plants got bigger (assuming they don't overly shade the plants).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here