Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missinformation_gw

vertical garden picture

missinformation
16 years ago

I just wanted to share a picture of the vertical garden we built out of sewer pipe. It has double horizontal supports to hold things even as heavy as a full-sized watermelon. We've been through peas and some beans so far, and now it's filling in with summer stuff like a variety of squashes, small melons, hot weather beans and cucumbers. I'm working on a huge new bed in the backyard right now, and I don't want to plant any more trees. I'm thinking of building a slightly different version of this for a little height back there and getting some more grapes going on it.

Anyway, here it is:

{{gwi:42901}}

Comments (6)

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

wow Missinformation,
    that is a pretty slick design there. Painting them really makes a difference too. I love when I'm able to get my plants off the ground, less pests and easier to pick.

good luck w/the new beds,
    -Ethan

• oldherb
    16 years ago

Hey I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing your pic with us.
    I think it's a great idea. I'm interested in how you would modify it as well. Small spaces require more vertical growing to get the most out of our real estate.

• missinformation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To modify I could use longer pipes for the horizontal supports, space out the vertical supports quite a bit further or add a 3rd set of vertical supports so there are six total. I could also change or add to the levels of horizontal supports. So, for example, if I wanted one to cover a pathway, I could use 6 vertical supports with 3 running on each side of the path, then 2 or 3 levels of horizontal supports running alongside the path with only 1 higher level of horizontal supports running perpendicular to the path so people can still pass underneath it.

• stacy_nm
    16 years ago

Wow--that looks great! How do you have the supports, erm, supported? Did you pour concrete or anything like that for the verticals or just pound 'em into the ground? It looks like you've drilled holes for the horizontals--is that right? Sorry if these are dumb questions...

• missinformation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not dumb questions - it was really easy to make once I got it all figured out. Yes, the posts are in concrete, and about 18" of them are in the dirt. It's really not all that straight which drives engineering types crazy, but if you're a lot more careful than I am, you could use a level line, etc. I think the horizontal pipes are 1" but they might be 1.5" - They bend slightly when they are loaded with large watermelons or pumpkins, so I might use metal pipes for the horizontal supports next time. As long as you have holes drilled for 2 horizontal supports in each area you want them, you're fine. It's pretty simple to scoot heavier fruits to a set of supports and balance them.

• stacy_nm
    16 years ago

Thanks--I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County