Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belle_michele

Jerusalem Artichokes -can I transplant them now?

belle_michele
18 years ago

Greetings All,

I have a bunch of Jersalem Artichokes that have worn out their welcome in their current spot and will need to be moved to another area of the garden. Will they survive? Unfortunately I can't wait until fall or next spring to move them... Should I transplant the entire 'plant' (they pull up VERY easy!) or cut them back to the tuber and just transplant that?

Comments (3)

• chills71
    18 years ago

I transplanted JA's about 3 weeks ago, plant and all and they were fine. Of course they are quite a vigorous plant, so even if the stem dies you will likely get another one to push up in just a week or two.

If yours die, email me in the spring and we'll trade or something.

~Chills

• chills71
    18 years ago

Besides maybe, given our similar interests regarding plants there might be something else we could trade anyway.

What passionflowers are you growing, and do you have incarnata? Does it come back for you? If so, how are you protecting it?

~Chills

• belle_michele
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for confirming my thoughts that JA might be able to take an 'unseasonable' move. I have some that have managed to show up (I'm thinking an animal may have dragged/dumped a tuber) way in the back of my yard-so if these do fail, I do have some 'back-up'.

I've had these things for YEARS and have only had them bloom a few times-I'm guessing the weather/length of season has to be just right.

I've been dragging my passies in an out with the seasons. This year I have three incarnata that I overwinterd in the garage, instead inside in the house, and they are going to be part of my 'zone-challenging' grand experiement. I've planted them in a 'primo' place (south side, next to brick wall of fireplace), and will mulch the bejeebers out of them so see if I can get them to make it through a winter here....

I also was given two 2-year rooted figs by the grandfather of friend (from upstate NY) who swears that planted next to the house, properly wrapped, will make it through a zone 4 winter.... I've planted one in an ULTRA primo spot (as opposed to just 'primo') and am going to wrap and mulch like crazy after the first couple of frosts... If I can pull this one off, I know I will have to keep it to a large bush, small tree size--but still!!!! If the one makes it, the other one will be planted outside next spring.
    My goal is to come up with a fig that can (with protection) survive in zone 4 ....

I'll try to remember to let you know how the 'grand experiement' went and if successful, maybe send you some cuttings...

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH