Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meixue_gw

Katuk bush (leaves can be eaten)-Photo

meixue
19 years ago

Here is a photo of my Katuk plant from Native habitat. It lost all its leaves in shipping, seems fragile but its got some new leaves emerging. You can eat the tender leaves from this plant either in salad or stir fried. Used a lot in asian cooking in thailaned. I will post a follow up photo when it grows back and is fuller. Its not much to look at now!

Meixue

{{gwi:668252}}

Comments (8)

• grwleye
    19 years ago

What does it taste like?

• meixue
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I ate one of the littlest leaves and it was bitter. Hint of nutty flavor but still bitter. Not sure how they are supposed to taste. Maybe the plant is too small? I'll try to look online to see if I can find any info on how to cook it and how its supposed to taste. Will follow up later.
    Meixue

• Lady
    19 years ago

You can also eat the flowers. Here in Florida they grow as tall as my house if I don't keep them pruned back. The new leaves and flowers when pink are very good on a salad. I have a friend who uses them as well as the new growth stems in stir fry but I have yet to try it. My favorite way to eat them is to grab a handfull while I am in the yard. I am a nibbler at heart.

• meixue
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Lady, thanks for your post. So how big are the leaves before you can eat them. I mentioned above that when I ate one of the little leaves it was very bitter. How should they taste? Maybe its a little too young and thats why its bitter. I see new leaves growing out of it but very slowly. Do you have any photos?
    Thanks
    Meixue

• Lady
    19 years ago

I don't know how to post pictures but can email one if you like. I just trimmed it back so you can't really see the new leaves. The taste is kinda nutty, hard to describe. I prefer the blooms over the leaves but the leaves work real well in a salad. Pick them when you are ready to eat as they wilt very quickly. Email me if you want a picture. I will try to take one when the rain stops.

• maryuri
    19 years ago

Just won a katuk plant (door prize at the meeting of our Broward Herb Society). I live in Davie (zone 10).
    How tall is it going to grow? Can I keep it in a pot? Water or keep on dry side? Sun or broken shade?

Thank you for the info. Would love a picture of your bush.

Marie

• gardenalive
    19 years ago

This may not pertain to this thread per se but I thought I'll go ahead and chime in to talk about my 8 foot moringa tree. Like the katuk leaves, the leaves of the moringa are very bitter and taste sorta like mustard green mixed in with ampicillin! You gotta get the hang of it or else you'll freak out and never touch it again. Definitely not for the kiddish in heart.
    Guess that's why it is considered so nutritious lol

Here is a link that might be useful: neat website

• rm524rm_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I just heard about katuk. the person said it was called cyropus katuk, but all I could find was katuk. This man said that if planted as a hedge it supported itself better, and to top it at hedge height for harvesting easier. He said that young shoots if the trees were in shade tasted like asparagus. and if it was not too tall of a hedge, one could harvest lots of little shoots for a meal. That pertained to planting it here in Maui. Has anyone tried the young shoots?