Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plum-apricot mystery fruit

Posted by marklee z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 04 at 14:31

What is this fruit? I found a small tree full of these overhanging the sidewalk in the Greenlake neighborhood of Seattle. They tasted like apricots and were slightly sweet. The skin was smooth and a little bitter and a little tangy, no fuzz. The creamy texture of the flesh was similar to fresh apricots, and the pit was not joined at all to flesh. These were really ripe. Half were on the ground, half still on the tree. I am saving the seeds of the handful I grabbed off the ground to grow seedlings. I might go back for scionwood. I should have grabbed some leaves for an ID. It might have been planted on purpose in the past, but it looks like no one is going for the fruit now and it hasn't ever been pruned.
-Mark Lee, Seattle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plum-apricot mystery fruit

Could this be the infamous Pluot?? A cross of a plum and apricot. There are at least four types in various colors of skin and flesh.

o

I doubt that this is a pluot. I grow three types of these (from Zaiger Genetics, purchased through Raintree Nursery). It is not like these. The mystery fruit is much smaller, the size of a quarter, as shown in the photo. It also more productive and earlier than my standard pluots.
-Mark

o

Looks more related to the plum. I have a honeymoor plum which is the same size,but has slight blush and is sweet.

o

A friend from the NAFEX group I think has correctly identified it as an apricot-like cherry plum, Prunus cerasifera. Here is a photo of such a plant for comparison.

I couldn't see my original photo for a time today, so I have included a link to it if anyone else has problems seeing it.
-Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: http://mysite.verizon.net/piper33/MysteryFruit.jpg

o

• Posted by lisa2 coastal CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 25, 04 at 16:41

plum cherry

o

mirabella
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirabelle_plum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here