Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elaeagnus spp? with photo

Posted by txtarheel Z7a, central NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 17:01

My husband and I have been in our current house since last October. We've been trying to identify many of the plants we have - it's been a challenge, the last owner was a landscape designer and planted many rare and obscure cultivars.

Anyway, we have a massie planting along the forest of what I suspect are Elaeagnus of some sort. They bloomed with a nearly white, tiny flower in early May and are just beginning to fruit. I'd really like to know what species in particular these may be and if they are edible. I'm thinking multiflora, but am not 100%. I've got a couple close ups of the leaves and new berries posted below. The undersides of the leaves are a matte, silver color.

Whole shrub

Cascading branch

Close-up of berries

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elaeagnus spp? with photo

Yep. It's an Eleagnus, but I can't get you any farther than the genus level. I see 'em all over the place throughout the woods back home in east-central AL - but don't remember 'em there when I was a kid.

o
RE: Elaeagnus spp? with photo

it's Elaeagnus multiflora also known as 'Goumi'...
they are edible when fully ripe..

Here is a link that might be useful: Goumi berries

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here