Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmdw_gw

hardy kiwi: jam or jelly recipes?

lmdw
16 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners, I have been fortunate to inherit a mature hardy kiwi at my new home . . . I would love to make jam, jelly, or preserves of some kind with the harvest, but cannot find any recipes. Does anyone have any hardy kiwi recipes? One site said to use them like you would grapes - can anyone attest to that? Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Sorry, no kiwi recipes - I think kiwis are protected animals. However, some kiwifruit recipes for you:

Kiwifruit Jam
    1 kg kiwifruit
    1/2 teaspoon citric acid
    750g castor sugar

In a large saucepan bring kiwifruit and citric acid to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer until fruit is soft. add sugar, Stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil rapidly 15-20 minutes or until jam reaches 105°C. Remove from heat and remove scum. Cool for 15 minutes. Ladle into hot, sterilised jars and seal. Keeps for 3-4 months.

Kiwifruit Jellies
    2kg kiwifruit, peeled
    juice of 1 lemon
    3 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 cup liquid pectin
    green food colouring (optional)

Line a 20x25cm pan with wax paper. In a blender mix the fruit, lemon juice and 1 cup of the sugar. Pass the liquid through a fine strainer into a large saucepan. Add remaining sugar, stir well and bring to the boil. Add butter, stirring constantly, and boil for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pectin and a few drops of green colouring. Pour into prepared pan and leave overnight. Cut into attractive shapes and roll in sugar. Store in a cool place in an airtight container with wax paper separating layers. Will keep for about 1 week.

Kiwifruit Chutney
    2 kg kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    350g sugar
    300ml white wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
    1 small chilli, chopped
    2 teaspoons allspice

Simmer all ingredients together until thick, stirring frequently. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Serve with curry dishes.

• denninmi
    16 years ago

I made jam several years with my hardy kiwis -- I just used the recipe for strawberry jam which came with the pectin (I used Sure-Jel Lite), and I always add a splash of lemon juice if the recipe doesn't call for it.

The jam is excellent. You can also make a nice sauce or syrup by just cooking with sugar and lemon juice minus the pectin -- a little runny, but good for ice cream or pancakes.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz