Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardy kiwi: jam or jelly recipes?

Posted by lmdw Ottawa 5 ON (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 17:08

Hello fellow gardeners, I have been fortunate to inherit a mature hardy kiwi at my new home . . . I would love to make jam, jelly, or preserves of some kind with the harvest, but cannot find any recipes. Does anyone have any hardy kiwi recipes? One site said to use them like you would grapes - can anyone attest to that? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy kiwi: jam or jelly recipes?

Sorry, no kiwi recipes - I think kiwis are protected animals. However, some kiwifruit recipes for you:

Kiwifruit Jam
1 kg kiwifruit
1/2 teaspoon citric acid
750g castor sugar

In a large saucepan bring kiwifruit and citric acid to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer until fruit is soft. add sugar, Stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil rapidly 15-20 minutes or until jam reaches 105C. Remove from heat and remove scum. Cool for 15 minutes. Ladle into hot, sterilised jars and seal. Keeps for 3-4 months.

Kiwifruit Jellies
2kg kiwifruit, peeled
juice of 1 lemon
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup liquid pectin
green food colouring (optional)

Line a 20x25cm pan with wax paper. In a blender mix the fruit, lemon juice and 1 cup of the sugar. Pass the liquid through a fine strainer into a large saucepan. Add remaining sugar, stir well and bring to the boil. Add butter, stirring constantly, and boil for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pectin and a few drops of green colouring. Pour into prepared pan and leave overnight. Cut into attractive shapes and roll in sugar. Store in a cool place in an airtight container with wax paper separating layers. Will keep for about 1 week.

Kiwifruit Chutney
2 kg kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
350g sugar
300ml white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 small chilli, chopped
2 teaspoons allspice

Simmer all ingredients together until thick, stirring frequently. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Serve with curry dishes.

o
RE: hardy kiwi: jam or jelly recipes?

I made jam several years with my hardy kiwis -- I just used the recipe for strawberry jam which came with the pectin (I used Sure-Jel Lite), and I always add a splash of lemon juice if the recipe doesn't call for it.

The jam is excellent. You can also make a nice sauce or syrup by just cooking with sugar and lemon juice minus the pectin -- a little runny, but good for ice cream or pancakes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here