Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdinenno

Jujube for patio tree?

sdinenno
14 years ago

I'm a landscape designer and I'm thinking about incorporating a Chinese Jujube (Zizyphus jujuba) into a design as a tree to shade a patio and a deck. My question: Is the jujube a nice-looking tree? I want to plant something that has nice ornamental appeal and will bear edible fruit (yes, I know there will be some falling fruit).

Comments (7)

• picea
    14 years ago

I just planted my first Jujube last year so I can't comment on how they look but they do produce lots of suckers. Other plants to consider would be a pawpaw and asian persimmon. Edible Landscaping has lots of Kaki persimmon listed with their growth rate and form.

David

• sdinenno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, David.

But I think both the pawpaw and the kaki persimmon would be too small in this case. I need something that reaches about 30'. Pawpaws are also known to produce a lot of suckers.

• picea
    14 years ago

American Persimmon will get that large. Edible landscaping claims the selection Ruby is attractive. David

• willyt
    14 years ago

I think they are nice looking. The leaves stay very green even in very hot summers. They seem to thrive in the heat. In the winter the branches are somewhat contorted and interesting. They're very unique and tropical looking, rather like a china berry. They require very little water once established. They sucker, so once a month you cut the suckers; I don't see why it's a big deal. Some of mine have been in the ground 3 years, started as 15 gallon trees, and they're probably 12' high. I have seen a 30' or so tree in Dallas. My kaki persimmons all died back 2-3' after a cold snap late in the spring, and look very ugly with all the dead wood. That wouldn't look good as a centerpiece. I think American Persimmon can get very large, probably over your 30'. They are handsome though, and were not zapped by the cold like the Kaki I have. One advantage I see in Jujube over either persimmon is that I have never seen an insect eat a jujube leave, while I do have some problems with psylla and other eating persimmon leaves.

• godsdog
    14 years ago

I have three in front yard. Li, Lang and contorta. 3rd year in the ground and the nursery stock came with the top cut off at about 6 feet. They are now about 10 feet. the idea was some summer shade and edible also. The contorta is by far the most interesting, leaves are smaller ( as is the fruit)and more dense foliage. The branches are contorted, and are quite pleasant and interesting in winter. The others are average looking trees. Macadamia are beautiful trees. they grow here but get too large to be a patio tree. I have one in the back that keeps threatening the power line, but we like the nuts.

• maryhawkins99
    14 years ago

my 3 year old jujube's are skinny 6-8 ft trees with not much shade. & i dont think they coexist well with watered flowerbeds etc; they really chase any water, & you'll have baby jujube's all the time from the suckers.

but in a lawn, where the suckers get mowed, they're a great tree

• jianhuayegreentree
    11 years ago

Jujube suckers a lot and has a strong root system. I would not plant near patio or house foundation.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County