Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sculpine

Mammoth Red Rhubarb

scot
13 years ago

I have exhausted every means I can think of. I really want to get some Mammoth Red Rhubarb, and the only nursery I could find that has it is in the UK and cant ship to the US. Does anyone know of a source?

scot

Comments (14)

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

I looked 'Mammoth Red Rhubarb' up in my encyclopedia of edible plants and couldn't find it among the other named cultivars, that is my best reference book on plants and if I can't find something in there I usually can't find it anywhere.

Sorry.

• judyafoster_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am interested in finding a source for mammoth red rhubarb. Have you had any luck? Please reply. Thank you for your help & efforts. Rob Foster

• treebird101
    10 years ago

I cant seem to even find this cultivar on any UK website. I see a cultivar called Giant Grooveless Crimson but I'm not sure if it is the same thing. Don't know how to get it. Did any of you get this cultivar yet? Thanks

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I got lots of hits under that name just by Googling. But not any sources to buy it. Also known as The Giant, Stott's Mammoth or just Mammoth. I haven't found Stott's Mammoth but there is a Stott's Monarch at this site. They also list 'Giant'. Maybe they could help track it down for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb People

• scot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i did finally find a source in the UK, so i ordered several varieties in addition that are not available here in the states. the roots never arrived, so customs must have blocked the shipment. ive given up. Michigan State University used to have it in their gardens but gave up on it as it wasnt robust here.

• treebird101
    10 years ago

Yeah I gave up on my searches for it. I think I'm going to go with the Valentine Rhubarb from Stark Bros. I had a nice robust crown of it at one point but one of my father in law's cows tramped on it in July and killed it dead as can be. It's red through out the entire stalk. I mostly have Victoria and a plant of Canada Red and Crimson red. I wish more varieties were available here in the US but I guess its the job of big government to block you from making rhubarb pie, LOL. Sorry about your loss scot, I would try the Valentine rhubarb.

• jordie
    7 years ago

We as kids used to eat this variety raw straight off the plant...so sweet and juicy...i would also like to get my hands on some seed

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

Seed would not be a good idea. Anything could come out of it. You need a plant to be sure of getting the exact variety.

• emerogork
    7 years ago

One mature plant would supply the neighborhood with stalks enough for all the pastries and topping for ice cream as everyone could want.

Is there some reason why you have an interest in Mammoth plants? I guess it would be attractive in a garden....

• scot
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I dunno emerogork2, i have around 50 mature plants of rhubarb anyway. and other than jam, sauce and booze i dont do much with it. but i have an on propensity for whatever everybody else aint got. my landscape (probably a liberal use of the word) is entirely edible with the exception of a few areas that are primarily for pollinators. since a couple of my hives are immediately adjacent to where i mow, i like to keep the girls happy.

• emerogork
    7 years ago

Is it simply feed-the-bees and some cosmetic effect? I was really hoping you would regale us with a larger reason for 50 plants. Don't get me wrong, "there because it is there" is ok.

It is probably my having 450 various cultivars of blooming plants on 1/2 acre which includes a house, garage, and driveway, that I wonder the use of so many of the same species.

Granted, a similar estate with 15 select plants can look excellent in itself. I guess my question why Mammoth Rhubarb holds an interest would be similar to having Elephant Ear plants. They do have their place.

50 plants of it,...
    Interesting.

The land on which my neighborhood is set used to be a Rhubarb farm but that was more for the industry.

• scot
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i am on 11 acres, this property was farmland (poor farmland at that) until the Korean "war". the son did not come back and at that time the property was too difficult to get too and too sandy for decent cropland. so fast forward to 15yrs ago, we carved out a spot and built. i have been slowly, but deliberately replacing the weeds with higher quality weeds. i have been cutting the dead and dying elm, cherry, honeysuckle etc and replanting with fruting/nutting trees and shrubs. the whole rhubarb thing started when my 2 plants met an untimely woodchuck induced demise. a friend of a friend was tearing out his mothers, so i dug them. that was the beginning of some odd fixation. i do use alot of it, so i started to "rescue" old plants from all over. once that started, and since i planted some that was somewhat prominent in the side yard i started to collect varieties. i remembered an old Gurney's add from forever ago, and during and insomnia driven google night i found several i simply had to have. but apparently the red and green mammoth are not gonna happen.

i dont really have much interest in things that dont have some use (granted edible and medicinal are fairly loose terms) other than looking nice. and whatever i plant has to be very self reliant. i travel mon-fri each week for work, so if it isnt able to hold its own without supplemental coddling it wont last. i do what i can for deer/rabbit protection. i do have a water cart, but i dont spray except when the poison ivy gets too out of control.

other than wanting it just for a different variety i dont have a reply. the best eating rhubarb i have is from a root division i took from a house being dozed for a bank.

i have multiple varieties and seedlings of chestnut, paw paw, wild plums, a substantial collection of cactus (mostly opuntias) and alliums, lilly and rubus, ribes, and after fighting roses for several years, have grappled out many and replaced with rugosa. i honestly couldnt list all the stuff i have growing, and with few exceptions there are varietal multiples of everything. the truth is now, i am getting a bit older, and i am not putting much effort into saving things that are struggling and have not been replacing things that cant cut winter. i loose a few things every 4-5 years due to hard winter.

• emerogork
    7 years ago

I can recall having a 200M hard drive back in the 70s. At that time, we spent a lot of effort keeping all files organized, various ones compressed, and weeded out the useless. When I finally purchased a 1.2Gb drive, I transferred everything I had from the old one and still had a full 1Gb left!

What does this have to do with gardening? I was just figuring what I would experience going from my .5 acre to your 11 acre land! I am not sure I could handle the freedom. (:

• RhubarbFan
    last year

@scot, since this thread is 12 years old, I hope this message finds you, AND you found the object of both our desires, Mammoth.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?