Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to determine where shade will be when trees and shrubs mature

Posted by Purple-Sage none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 19:25

I am working on a plan for the backyard. The yard is almost empty now except for one existing Lemon tree. We want the yard to be beautiful and inviting while incorporating many edibles and herbs. I understand that ideally the vegetables and herbs should receive a minimum of 6 hours of full sun per day. We would like to have one other tree and some bushes around the border of the yard, and place a raised bed for vegetables closer to the center at one end of the yard. How can I be sure that the trees and bushes won't eventually create too much shade over the area where we would like to place the vegetable bed? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to determine where shade will be when trees and shrubs ma

Make some diagrams of what you want to plant where.
Observe sun/shade patterns through the year. ow do they move?
Make adjustments in planting if needed.

Consider hiring a garden designer from local retail garden center.

o
RE: How to determine where shade will be when trees and shrubs ma

Thank you, jean001a

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here