Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbok_gw

Berry Tree

barbok
17 years ago

Can you help me identify this {{gwi:668757}}? We moved into our new house in April, and this is just one of the many mystery plants growing in the back yard. The tree itself is rather tall, about 10 feet. I can include a photo of it later if that'll help someone identify it.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (8)

• larry_gene
    17 years ago

Not enough info to go on. The obvious guess for a "berry tree" would be mulberry, but some regular caneberries can be tall and branched, and your berry may or may not be an actual berry. Please describe the berry in detail or post a picture.

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

The photo looks like a Mulberry. Maybe an everbearing, or weeping one? The fruit and leaves are very small compared to the varieties I have here in Florida.

They are ripe when black/purple. The red ones will probably be tart.

To be certain of what you have, please take a branch to your local extension agent.

What a nice surprise, if it is a Mulberry!

Lisa

• barbok
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I understated the height of the tree--it's much taller than 10 feet! {{gwi:668759}}. You can also click {{gwi:668761}}, {{gwi:668763}}, {{gwi:668765}}, and {{gwi:668766}} for more photos of the branches, leaves, and berries. Maybe these will help someone identify it.

Thanks for all your help, Larry and Lisa.

• larry_gene
    17 years ago

Didn't see the first image link, my other browser doesn't highlight them.

Definitely mulberry. Needs to be very dark and soft to be sweet. Wait for some to fall off the tree, this means there are some ripe ones on the tree. I was just on a garden tour where there was a mulberry tree nearer 20 feet tall. The fruit stains anything it lands on.

• barbok
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot, Larry.

I was concerned that they were something poisonous, although I couldn't find anything like them that is.

I can't wait to try them. I hope I can get some to ripen & fall off the tree before the squirrels eat them all.

• larry_gene
    17 years ago

Your squirrels will be stained.

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Unmistakably Morus alba, the introduced non-native, invasive white mulberry. The glossy leaves are a dead giveaway.
    Most have fruit that is red-lavendar-purple when ripe, but some have white fruit. Some are quite tasty, some not; most of the white-fruited selections I've had occasion to sample have a 'grassy' taste, or a bland sweetness.

• lofnheidr
    15 years ago

Yep, Yep and Yep!
    I have three huge trees with berries and leaves that look just like that, in my yard and they are YUMMY! They can be made into jams/jellies and wine.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County