Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Chinese wolfberry/ lycium barbarum

paulns
18 years ago

Also known as matrimony vine. Supposed to be good for the eyes, immune system and liver. The berry is eaten as a snack like raisins in China. According to Richters Herbs it is easy to grow and hardy, zones 5-9 (and the seeds are cheap). Has anybody tried growing it? Is it a pretty plant? And how is the taste?

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese wolfberry

Comments (11)

• bonsaist
    18 years ago

the juice is sold as herbal medicine....
    it's more commonly known as Goji. grown in northern china... closer to the hamalayan... There's a place that sells the plants and fruits... I'm waiting to order some fruits later on...

Bass

• TonyfromOz
    18 years ago

In our local vegetable market in an inner suburb of Sydney (large Chinese population) you can buy large bunches of it for only A$1 (U$0.8) but I have never seen the fruit. I think it's labelled 'gow jee' here, which is just another variation on gau ji, goji, etc. It took me quite a while to track down its botanical identity. The Chinese here say it's 'good for the blood', but then they say that about many other plants as well.

• oldherb
    18 years ago

I have a tiny little thing in a 4" container that was a start I purchased from Richter's last year. I would recommend trying it from seed if you are not in a hurry. Mine is growing slowly and will probably be big enough to put into the ground this fall. (the start I got from Richter's was sadly small and not very vigorous)...And no I haven't tried or even seen the berries.

• paulns
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for these responses. Seeds are on my list for next year.

• paulns
    Original Author
    18 years ago

...and now a friend has been kind enough to pick up a packet of the dried berries for me at a Chinese grocery in the city. Will eat some and report back.

• skyjs
    18 years ago

I planted it and it did not do well. I think it needs full sun and it was crowded out.

• paulns
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The berries are sweet, pleasant tasting, a raisin-like flavour with a touch of dates.
    If I get them I'll remember to plant in full sun. I have my doubts whether they'll like NS climate...

• dirtslinger2
    13 years ago

Storebought dried berries (multiple sources) have all been pretty much discusting. Tender Vittels came to mind.
    Try them before planting.

• tasi0802_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Haven't tried growing them but I do like eating the berries. I prefer them to raisins.

• Cytheria
    13 years ago

I've lived in China for many years and have had plenty of wolfberries. Chinese do not eat them as a snack. It's most common usage is in its dried form, which is then used to make tea. It has a slightly sweet taste, though I have used them in savory dishes as well, to add color.

They DO in fact have many micro-nutrients and are considered a super food. I'm sure many of the claims Chinese said they have are dubious, but a few people I know with bad eyesight have sworn on them, saying wolfberries improved their sight dramatically.replica watch Cartier replicas Rolex replicas Swiss replicas

• luckynes13
    13 years ago

I have bought both wolfberry seeds and plants from Richters, Now I grow the plants and sell them on kijiji in my area.
    They are easy to grow, this year I overwinter my one year olds indoors. The rabbits like eating them like they like to eat everything I try to grow.
    This year , I will treat them like grape vines stake them and wrap them in chicken wire, to keep the bunnies away.
    they like to be on the dry side , so don't over water them.
    Just a warning, when you buy the seeds from Richters they will come in the berries, like you buy them from the bulk store.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County