Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowberry - Symphoricarpos albus - Edible or Not?

Posted by divaqs z7 Seattle (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 05 at 11:47

I'm finding mixed information on whether snowberries are edible or not. Some online sites say they are toxic, while others say that Indians used to eat them, animals and cattle graze on them, and one site said that you can eat them but they taste awful. One website said that they can induce vomiting... though from what I read, I wonder if that is due to the taste... lol

The reason I am wondering is due to there being a lot of them (40+ bushes) growing natively in my backyard.

At first I thought they were huckleberry bushes, due to somewhat similar appearances of the bushes, but huckleberries aren't white. :)

Does anyone have any experience with these shrubs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowberry - Symphoricarpos albus - Edible or Not?

...and huckleberries grow at considerable elevation.

I've had a couple of snowberries in my mouth during hikes. Mealy and bland. Most books don't mention edibility or state that birds use them for survival.

Try a few with bacon grease and see if there are any ill effects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here