Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what trees bear fruit in coastal so cal?

Posted by krbi 10 or 23/24 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 13:16

I just had my lawn and almost all plantings removed front and back. I am looking to replace with edible or regional plants. Also clumping bamboo for privacy screens. What trees produce edible fruit in my area - coastal So. Cal? I already have an established fig, persimmon and some kind of apple. Am especially looking for a pink blooming tree for the front, and whatever in the back. Pretty much full sun in both areas. Most books show my zone as hopeless. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what trees bear fruit in coastal so cal?

I have a couple of peach trees and a nectarine in zone 9, and lots of citrus. We have a plum in zone 10 and it is doing great.

o
RE: what trees bear fruit in coastal so cal?

Here on the coast, the question is: WHAT WON'T GROW AND FRUIT here?
look around and you'll probably see commercial crops, orchards and vinyards of all types. There are vinyards in Paso Robles where it gets 120 and freezes, Strawberries in Santa Maria, lemons, oranges, apples, almonds, berries of all nature etc.
In my yard--and subject to little maintainance are grapes, apples, plums, peaches, aprocots, tangellos, and guava. Across the street are acres of avocados.
All I can think of that might be a restriction would you living in the desert but I think most grow there also, think of the crops that come out of Mexico!
cheers;
Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here