Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eggplant turning to fruit

Posted by krissylovesplants79 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 14:08

Hi, I planted sicilian eggplant and the two that fi ally seem to be fruit have not grown much in almist a week and the flowers arou d it and on the end seem dry and stiff, is that okay? I kniw its hard to tell I tne picture, but I hope somebody reads this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eggplant turning to fruit

It's possible that they didn't get pollinated.Sometimes the first ones don't.Also what I do sometimes is take a small artist type paintbrush or Q-tip and spread the pollen from flower to flower. Brady

o

Thanks brandy I tried that but the flowers dont seem to contain pollin. However I do have two eggplant butbthe havnt grown much.

o

HI, Krissy,
Are you feeding you eggplants? They are WATER HOGGING, HUNGRY HIPPOS!

Try sprinkling 1/2 oz. per plant (square foot) of balanced fertilizer around the soil, about 4" away from the roots. Balanced simply means that all three numbers are the same, or pretty close. Try to find some 13-13-13 or 14-14-14. 10-10-10 will do in a pinch, but the 13 or 14 is what they seem to like best. Feed them once a week, and keep them evenly watered.

Water the fertilizer in well, and wait, patiently.

What're your average daytime temps now? Eggplants love the heat and the sunshine.

Check your seed packet for the optimum size recommended for picking them. Once they start producing fruits (and, if it's still warm enough for them, they will), you should pick them while they are still shiny. Dull eggplants = bitter eggplants.

I have a great recipe for Asian Style Spicy Eggplants!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here