Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
arugula seeds - edible?

Posted by surf_grrl (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 03 at 15:34

I posted this query on the garden experiments forum, with no reply - hoping for better success here... Are arugula seeds edible? I toasted some the other day, and they were very nice! Just don't know if I ought to continue eating them (would be nice on, say, a carrot salad).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: arugula seeds - edible?

I haven't heard of using the seeds for culinary purposes, but the flowers are edible. I hope you're using seeds you've harvested yourself, and not seeds from a packet intended for propagation purposes. You should never eat such seeds, from any plant, because they are often chemically treated, and are processed in such a way that hygiene standards may not come up to 'food hyiene' levels. I think we should investigate further.

o

They are, in fact, my own seeds. I was gathering them, hoping to plant them next year, and thought, hmmm.... wonder what these would taste like...

o

I would say that yes they are...just be sure to use untreated arugula seeds. I grow microgreens with arugula and have taste the just-sprouted seeds and they are wonderful. Have never treid them unsprouted.

o

Green radish seed pods are a well know salad ingredient. Arugula is closely related and I should imagine they are quite tasty too. Probably a bit peppery. I'll try some next time I'm down at the plot.

o

Thanks for the replies! They are quite peppery. When toasted in a frying pan, they are peppery with a bit of a nutty taste. Very nice.

o

surf grrl, would you mind telling me how to harvest arugula seeds? Mine have lots of flowers, but I can't figure out where the seeds are.

o

Those seeds are actually usually pretty easy to spot. Mine used to show up in brownish colored seed pods after the flowers were gone.
ldr

o

Thanks LDR, maybe I just have to wait a little longer.

o

Arugula seeds are definitely edible and good. They are used in Indian and Persian cooking, called "Gargeer" there. We like to add them to bean pots and stews, they impart a nice spicy flavor and a bit of mucilagenous texture.

o

Wow, gargeer. I had no idea!

o

So to harvest Arugula seeds you need to wait till the pods turn brown? Then you harvest them to have seeds for next year or do they repopulate themselves. My Arugula pods are green but it's still flowering.

o

Yeah, let the pods nearly dry on the plant, and you can then cut and dry them a little more; the seeds are easy to extract when you crush the dry pods. Arugula will definitely self-seed too, and chances are you'll get volunteers if you let the seeds fully develop on the plant. The white flowers are attractive to bees, butterflies and even hummingbirds, so I enjoy growing them out.

o

There is also the wild Italian heirloom arugula (Diplotaxis tenuifolia) with yellow flowers that can be perennial here but also reseeds readily. Never tried eating the seeds though.

tj

o
Microgreen arugula seeds - self-seeding?

I bought 6000 microgreen arugula seeds. I really didn't understand how SMALL they are. I am interested in growing them year-round. Can microgreen arugula self-seed or is this some special seed production that doesn't self-seed?

If I just leave them in the ground past the first leaf stage, what happens?

IsleWalker

o

I just came in from the garden, lugging old arugula plants because garden expert told me I had to pull them up and plant new ones. Your posts have changed my whole approach! Thank you! I'm leaving the old stalks to reseed themselves and taking the flowers and seed pods from these plants for tonight's SALAD!! Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here