Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surf_grrl

arugula seeds - edible?

surf_grrl
20 years ago

I posted this query on the garden experiments forum, with no reply - hoping for better success here... Are arugula seeds edible? I toasted some the other day, and they were very nice! Just don't know if I ought to continue eating them (would be nice on, say, a carrot salad).

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

I haven't heard of using the seeds for culinary purposes, but the flowers are edible. I hope you're using seeds you've harvested yourself, and not seeds from a packet intended for propagation purposes. You should never eat such seeds, from any plant, because they are often chemically treated, and are processed in such a way that hygiene standards may not come up to 'food hyiene' levels. I think we should investigate further.

• surf_grrl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

They are, in fact, my own seeds. I was gathering them, hoping to plant them next year, and thought, hmmm.... wonder what these would taste like...

• adrianag
    20 years ago

I would say that yes they are...just be sure to use untreated arugula seeds. I grow microgreens with arugula and have taste the just-sprouted seeds and they are wonderful. Have never treid them unsprouted.

• flora_uk
    20 years ago

Green radish seed pods are a well know salad ingredient. Arugula is closely related and I should imagine they are quite tasty too. Probably a bit peppery. I'll try some next time I'm down at the plot.

• surf_grrl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the replies! They are quite peppery. When toasted in a frying pan, they are peppery with a bit of a nutty taste. Very nice.

• spoonplayer
    19 years ago

surf grrl, would you mind telling me how to harvest arugula seeds? Mine have lots of flowers, but I can't figure out where the seeds are.

• littledesertrodent
    19 years ago

Those seeds are actually usually pretty easy to spot. Mine used to show up in brownish colored seed pods after the flowers were gone.
    ldr

• spoonplayer
    19 years ago

Thanks LDR, maybe I just have to wait a little longer.

• segesvar
    19 years ago

Arugula seeds are definitely edible and good. They are used in Indian and Persian cooking, called "Gargeer" there. We like to add them to bean pots and stews, they impart a nice spicy flavor and a bit of mucilagenous texture.

• plainjane40
    19 years ago

Wow, gargeer. I had no idea!

• jjstoyfarm
    15 years ago

So to harvest Arugula seeds you need to wait till the pods turn brown? Then you harvest them to have seeds for next year or do they repopulate themselves. My Arugula pods are green but it's still flowering.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

There is also the wild Italian heirloom arugula (Diplotaxis tenuifolia) with yellow flowers that can be perennial here but also reseeds readily. Never tried eating the seeds though.

tj

• IsleWalker
    12 years ago

I bought 6000 microgreen arugula seeds. I really didn't understand how SMALL they are. I am interested in growing them year-round. Can microgreen arugula self-seed or is this some special seed production that doesn't self-seed?

If I just leave them in the ground past the first leaf stage, what happens?

IsleWalker

• FaithWatson
    9 years ago

I just came in from the garden, lugging old arugula plants because garden expert told me I had to pull them up and plant new ones. Your posts have changed my whole approach! Thank you! I'm leaving the old stalks to reseed themselves and taking the flowers and seed pods from these plants for tonight's SALAD!! Thank you!

• Frances Smith
    8 years ago

Same here. I have been watching Arugula magnificence that we could not eat to keep up with. Will start adding flowers to salads and let the girls reseed right were they are.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?