Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keeping mango tree small and other help greatly needed :)

Posted by beachlover1 south florida (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 15:58

is it possible to keep a mango tree small ( don't know the variety)? A family member wants to give me one that is small at the moment but I'm not sure I want it. I really don't want anything that creates shade and leafy messes. I already have a meyer lemon and a coconut palm and can't seem to get them to grow as it is so I'm sure I want to deal with it anyway (any help with that would be great too!). I'm not the best with upkeep although I would like to work on that but really I'm trying to keep my backyard simple. I think under watering in the winter may be my problem for the coconut and lemon trees. I've seen how giant mango trees can get and would really hate that in my own yard especially because my yard is more long than deep if that makes sense. Even if I liked huge trees in typical yard spaces, I don't think that there is enough room to accommodate how big mango trees can get from my fence to my house. My back neighbor has one already really close to our fence and I'm already worried about that as it is (it's small right now). Do my neighbors know something I don't? I can't seem to find much info on how to keep a large mango tree from getting large. Is this because it isn't possible? lol. She also wants to give us an anon tree which my husband really wants and it seems to be more manageable. Any insite on Anon? Thanks everyone! Sorry for the long post!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keeping mango tree small and other help greatly needed :)

The only one I ever saw was in Fellsmere. Fl. It was next to a Bait and Tackle store. I'm sure they never watered or fertilized it and it grew just fine. It looked like a pretty compact tree. Zone 9b. The fruits didn't last long on the tree. The Mexicans came and picked them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here