Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhouselover_gw

Another tree (and berries!) I need help identifying!

oldhouselover
13 years ago

I am back again with another question. :) I noticed that this tree in our backyard is producing an abundance of berries. I have no idea what kind of tree this is and what berry it is producing.. and of course if it is edible or not.

I asked too late on the mulberry tree (we were able to enjoy our fair share, but plenty went to waste this season before we knew that they were in fact edible! Next year we will know better!). This time I would rather not assume (I figure they are not edible, but what do I know?)! I would like to find out if they are edible or not, and finding out first from the top source (this forum) is the best option!

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

Here are the photos, if any additional photos need to be provided, please just let me know!

{{gwi:669471}}

{{gwi:669472}}

Comments (6)

• scot
    13 years ago

looks like you got yerself a black cherry. i would wait for an additonal reply and not just trust me. i have acres of them, and while they are considered "edible" i am thinking once you try one, you will be over it. i did make jelly one year, it was very pretty, but not a big hit. seeds and bark (like all cherries) are toxic

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

It looks like a black cherry to me, too, although the leaves are less elongated than mine. It might be a choke cherry -- their berries are more purplish than black and the leaves are shorter.

Some black cherries are better than others. Mine is quite good, but no matter what you make out of it, it's hard to shake the feeling you are eating cough syrup.

You may want to post these pictures in the Tree forum, and add a pictures of the bark as well as the full tree. Wild cherries are a common tree throughout the east coast.

• lablarry
    13 years ago

Prunus serotina - look for small reddish "hairs" along the vein on the back of the leaf.

• oldhouselover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for the opinions! I will post a photo here (and on the tree forum) of the bark before I taste/decide to make something with the cherries! :) Photos coming soon.. and thank you again for the input, I really appreciate it!

• ksage3
    10 years ago

Hi. I was wondering if you were able to confirm the type of berry pictured here? We just moved into our place and my lab is obsessed with eating these. Thanks!

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Looks just like my Portugal laurel did; the berries are bitter.

Sponsored