Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another tree (and berries!) I need help identifying!

Posted by oldhouselover New York (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 19:38

I am back again with another question. :) I noticed that this tree in our backyard is producing an abundance of berries. I have no idea what kind of tree this is and what berry it is producing.. and of course if it is edible or not.

I asked too late on the mulberry tree (we were able to enjoy our fair share, but plenty went to waste this season before we knew that they were in fact edible! Next year we will know better!). This time I would rather not assume (I figure they are not edible, but what do I know?)! I would like to find out if they are edible or not, and finding out first from the top source (this forum) is the best option!

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

Here are the photos, if any additional photos need to be provided, please just let me know!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another tree (and berries!) I need help identifying!

• Posted by scot z5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 21:48

looks like you got yerself a black cherry. i would wait for an additonal reply and not just trust me. i have acres of them, and while they are considered "edible" i am thinking once you try one, you will be over it. i did make jelly one year, it was very pretty, but not a big hit. seeds and bark (like all cherries) are toxic

o

It looks like a black cherry to me, too, although the leaves are less elongated than mine. It might be a choke cherry -- their berries are more purplish than black and the leaves are shorter.

Some black cherries are better than others. Mine is quite good, but no matter what you make out of it, it's hard to shake the feeling you are eating cough syrup.

You may want to post these pictures in the Tree forum, and add a pictures of the bark as well as the full tree. Wild cherries are a common tree throughout the east coast.

o

Prunus serotina - look for small reddish "hairs" along the vein on the back of the leaf.

o

Thank you very much for the opinions! I will post a photo here (and on the tree forum) of the bark before I taste/decide to make something with the cherries! :) Photos coming soon.. and thank you again for the input, I really appreciate it!

o

Hi. I was wondering if you were able to confirm the type of berry pictured here? We just moved into our place and my lab is obsessed with eating these. Thanks!

o

Looks just like my Portugal laurel did; the berries are bitter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here