Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this wild ginger? can I eat it? what species is it?

Posted by The_Alpha_Wolf_Rules North Carolina (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 04 at 20:11

well, the title is self explenatory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this wild ginger? can I eat it? what species is it?

The wild ginger around here has a rounder leaf and a maroon/brownish flower. Get a bit of basal stem or root piece and see if it is "gingerish".

o

A species of Hexastylis. Does the crushed leaf have a strong sassafras like odor? Smells good but don't eat any of the wild gingers (Asarum/Hexastylis). Yes, people used to use them sometimes as a ginger substitute but they contain a liver toxin.

o

If you don't recognize a plant and have to ask what it is, do not eat it. You need to get a good field guide with a key like Newcomb's before risking eating something.

The plant picture you posted does not look like Wild Ginger (Asarum canadense). Even it is, wild ginger is not related to the ginger(Zingiber officinale) found in grocery stores and is dangerous to eat. Although wild ginger is used in some herbal supplements it is known to cause cancer and kidney failure and deaths have resulted from its use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Wild Ginger

o

What you have pictured is a Hexastylis which used to be included in the genus Asarum I believe. The species/subspecies divisions are confusing to me. Most of these have a strong, pleasant odor in the leaf and they have fleshy roots but not a spreading rhizome like Asarum canadense. The later has fuzzy, rounded, essentially odorless leaves. All have been called wild ginger but A. canadense is what is usually referred to as wild ginger. Its rhizome was used as a flavoring. Hexastylis species are commonly called "little brown jugs" and are common in the woodlands of piedmont North Carolina. You'll see A. canadense in mountainous regions of North carolina. (I lived in NC years ago). Unfortunately not everything that tastes good or was used traditionally is safe to consume.

o

I like the leaf a lot, I wouldn't eat it. I'd try to keep it for the foliage in my garden. cool pict

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here