Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mannye

Chinese Lantern Questions

mannye
19 years ago

The latin name is Physalis alkekengi. They are supposed to have bright orange calyxes (this is the way they spell it on the label)

I have found out on the forum and through a little internet research that this is the same family as the gooseberry, tomatillo, etc.

If someone has experience with these, please let me know if they will survive in the summer sun here in Miami Beach. Or if they do well in shade.

Also...how high do these grow? Can I train them up a trellis? I would love to use them as an ornamental, but I have no idea how big this gets, if it grows up, out, vine-like, or ground coverish. PLease help.

Also..peat moss before planting?

Comments (11)

• larry_gene
    19 years ago

Be careful here. Chinese Lantern, genus Abutilon is the plant that is vine-like.

The tomatillo-ish Chinese Lantern Plant, Physalis, grows here in Portland in sun or shade. A very showy plant. Around here they get 2 to 3 feet tall, the taller ones tend to flop. They come back from the rootstock every year, in Florida this should be more reliable than here.

I doubt it would need an overly acidic soil, like peat. The Western Garden Book recommends "light soil".

• stella36
    19 years ago

And I would like to add, pretty invasive.

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

These don't grow like vines..... you can't train them up a trellia and I don't think they're good for eating.....

• mannye
    Original Author
    19 years ago

According to Richter's Herbs, these are used in Chinese medicing to treat gout, and westerners use them to make jam/jelly.

• squirrel_md
    18 years ago

When does the chinese lantern bloom?
    I am in Maryland and planted chinese lantern last year.
    I do see the plants but they did not bloom yet this year.
    The japanese beetles like these chinese lantern plants lot,
    so i am not sure if they do not bloom because of that.

• larry_gene
    18 years ago

They should bloom the second year from having planted seeds. It doesn't bloom here until well into summer, perhaps July/August. If the beetles ate all new growth at stem tips rather than mature leaves, this would eliminate bloom buds.

• njhb
    18 years ago

The lanterns of my Chinese lantern plants are falling off before they have a chance to turn red. Also, the pods seem to be small. What is the soil lacking or what am I doing wrong. Thanks for any info.

• jscu
    18 years ago

Beware Physalis! Here in Hawaii they seed all over the place, sun, shade, seems to make no difference, they are everywhere! I don't know anything about the vine type however. Our soil is sandy, sitting on top of bluerock, the hardest substance known to man, according to my husband who is the hole digger in the family!
    Good luck!
    Jenny

• HU-310284900
    3 years ago

Why haven’t my lanterns turned orange yet? It’s late October in Maine and soon they’ll die in the frost. Thank you!

• S B
    3 years ago

@HU-310284900 I had the same issue this year, they didn't turn orange and then the bugs laced them up in the last few weeks. There could be some disease affecting them, for myself I would guess powdery mildew, because there were more rains in the Spring and Summer than is typical. We're in DC and people here have been losing trees all around due to root rot from the rains. Climate change is a B. However, check carefully for any kind of mildew (powder or black) next year. You could also collect some of the seeds and try to start some new sets in the Spring to get a healthy batch (they won't bloom til 2022, though). That's my plan. Good luck to you!

• HU-123219451
    last year

I've perfected these! There a couple hours of sun is all, it will wilt. Definitely doesn't like this sun and heat! Will do perfect in shade. Blooms in July. Will not vine! But, put in a gigantic pot, and it will turn into a big tree. Drinks a lot of water, and feed 2x month. Keep out of that sun!!!!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner