Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nothwehr

Currants stopped growing after pruning

nothwehr
12 years ago

I planted several currant bushes early last spring. They really took off after planting and looked extremely healthy. Most are red currants (Rovada and Red Lake) along with one pink currant called Champagne. Anyway, around late May I pruned each vine down to one dominant shoot and topped the this shoot. The reason I did this was to grow the currants espalier-fashion on a trellis as described in Lee Reich's books for those that are familiar. The idea is that the plant is supposed to send out multiple shoots from near to where it was pruned and these could then be trained along the trellis. What happened was that all 6 vines/bushes completely stopped growing and 5 of them show no signs of sending out any new shoots. A typical example is shown in the image (below). The only partial exception is the Champagne which is showing a hint of new shoots. Does anyone have an idea of how to jump-start these currants? I think the fertility of soil is relatively good but would adding fertilizer (chemical, orgnanic, etc.) be helpful?

{{gwi:669533}}August 31, 2011

Comments (2)