Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sowing Nasturtiums

Posted by shmooey 6, Chicago (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 23:18

I just put a couple packages of nasturtiums in my vegetable gardens this morning, and a few in a container sitting on a back porch. I've never grown them before, but was under the impression that they grew quickly. Was it pointless to start them now, mid august? And are there any tips to taking great care of them?

oh yeah and in the ground they are in beds receiving full sun, but will have slight shade from tomatoes and peppers.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sowing Nasturtiums

I keep lots of nasturtiums in my vegetable gardens. I hear that they will keep rabbits away too. They will creep up and flower through any other plants too.
Do you need seeds. I have plenty.
Nantinki

o
RE: sowing Nasturtiums

Were they climbing or bush nasturtiums? You'll want to give the climbing type something to scramble up. Although you may get something out of them this year (they can and do grow quickly), I think it's better to winter sow them for springtime. A little bit of all-purpose veggie fertilizer will keep them going strong into summertime...mine even are reblooming now that it's cooling off! Great bright flowers, and tasty in salads...what a neat plant this is.

o
RE:yellowing nasturtiums

why do my nasturyiums have yellow leaves? I grow them in containers, full sun, no food and although they have tons of flowers, the plants look anemic.???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here