Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick and tall growing fruit tree for SF bay area

Posted by arlin SF bay area (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 04 at 6:21

My wife wants a tree to block our neighbors' view of our backyard. The particular window in question is about 12' up, so it will have to be something that grows quick (of course, I understand that even a fast growing tree will take a few years to do the job.)

I want something that will be productive, i.e. fruiting.

Any suggestions? (BTW nothing wrong with the neighbors, just want some privacy.)
Thanks!

Oh, this is a spot that only gets sun from midday on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick and tall growing fruit tree for SF bay area

Walnut (okay, it's a nut not a fruit)
Figs
Jujube
Mulberry is a FAST grower
Persimmon
Bay tree

o
RE: Quick and tall growing fruit tree for SF bay area

try a Eureka lemon on a standard rootstock ( not a dwarfing rootstock). I am in Berkeley and mine grew FAST! it is very vigorous, it's evergreen and the lemons are fabulous. I'm using it to block the neighboring apartment building, and it's working! The neighbors planted an avocado and it is even faster-growing, but it is also well on it's way to being 30 or 40 feet tall. they now have dwarf avocados that are only supposed to get to 12 or 15 feet tall but I don't know if they grow as quickly. They have them at East Bay Nursery in Berkeley.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here