Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burntplants

Unknown pear...

burntplants
16 years ago

...with small green(?) fruit.

We just bought a house, and when we looked at the house in June one of the pears had small green fruit.

Is this Bradford? Are ornamental pears edible?

Should I yank them and put in real pear trees?

(they're only 10' tall and 2-3" diameter trunks)

Comments (3)

• mauch1
    16 years ago

How big are the pears now? If they're less than a 1/2 inch their probably 'Bradford' and inedible. Pears in southern areas can have certain disease problems, so you need to be sure to get a variety adapted to your climate. There is a Southern Pear Interest Group, part of NAFEX (North American Fruit Explorers).

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Pear Interest Group

• francis_eric
    16 years ago

Thanks for asking this Now I know what Those tree's are

You can do what you want with them,----- Pyrus calleryana
    here are some idea's, before pulling them if you do.

I seen alot of Asian pear tree's In Houston Texas.

but Since this is a forum I will add somthings for other people
    Here is a highlighted link below that says they are Edible
    Some people mean by Edible is do they have any desirable tastes.
    I disagree with That, because things can be prepared differently.
    they aren't poison
    Maybe it wouldn't be so sour mashed(frozen helps soften), and boiled in water with sugar.
    I have done That with chinese crab apple (Malus baccata)somthing that looks like (Malus hupehensis)also called chinese crab or Japenese crab (Malus floribunda)
    (flowering crab)whatever it is
    These are small marble size fruits, very acidic like the bradford pear, but the small apples are also good when left in a papper bag or cabinet, and left to dry up.
    experimentation might be best to see how dry you like them
    fully dry, and they are sweet, but not as sweet as Raisins, I accualy Like them better.
    who knows maybe drying the fruit(or making jam will make it taste great wouldn't dought it.
    I will reply about what the tea tases like since I posted all this,
    and start another thread about marble size crab apples.

after cross polination
    Bradford and other once sterile cultivars began to produce viable seeds. And that is when the trouble began  the offspring of these docile ornamental beauties became aggressive invaders.

These seedling clusters are beginning to dominate the landscape, frequently occupying the forest edge space where native serviceberry, redbud and dogwood normally grow. Pear seedlings have even been observed growing in open patches within mature forest

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for a future

• aj7731
    16 years ago

i had a friend who had an edible pear years ago.

i have cooking pears for some time but have been looking for an edible pear tree for this area

kindly email any info to - ajoutdoors@yahoo.com

thanks n God Bless