Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyjohn_z5

Two kiwis on one trellis?

cheyjohn_z5
19 years ago

I have very small, new kiwi plants and I am wondering if it would be ok to plant them on the same trellis? I know I have a male and a female (varigated hardy kiwi). The second trellis I have is about 15 feet away but I really wanted to put something else on it since I have a very tiny yard.

Chey

Comments (12)

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

I've seen pairs of kiwi on the same trellis many times and it seems to work well. I would definitely keep them identified in case you decide to move them / one needs replaced / or you want to take cuttings from them.

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. You mean identified by male/female, right? I don't know which is which now. I think I figured that the larger was the female and the smaller was the male from something I read. I don't even know if these are going to make it. They don't look all that great to me, but it could be that they are just a bit weary from travel and transplant.

Chey

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

When they flower you can identify them - definitely keep them identified (if possible) to which is female and which is male.

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, I will do that. I just hope they survive.

Chey

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

I saw a mature fuzzy kiwi being grown on a tall (10-12') stake as though it were a tree, so I am growing 2 hardy kiwi's that way since garden structures are a challenge for me. My female has fruited the last 2 years. They do send out long trailers but they can be trimmed back in fall since they fruit on new wood. I think Arguta kolomitka, the variegated one, is less vigorous even.

• october17
    19 years ago

cheyjohn - I hope your kiwis survive! I didn't think I could grow them here in Z5. I tried one year. They grew pretty nice all summer, but none came back after winter. Are yours a cold hardy type?

• Avrom Litin
    19 years ago

I Have no problem over wintering in Chicago. You must have had the wrong variety for the zone

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

October17, sorry it took me so long to see your post! The ones I have are supposed to be cold hardy. I keep checking to see if they are coming up, but haven't spotted a sign of them yet.

Chey

• oklahawg
    18 years ago

The growth is vigorous. Be prepared to prune the male plant to one-fourth the size of the female to make the growth more manageable and still have pollination.

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I will keep this in mind!

Chey

• chills71
    18 years ago

Mine haven't broken but yet either, but I know they're fine (they were late last year too).

Mine will be three-four years old next year (some 3, some 4) and I'm hoping to see some flowers this year (and fruit, don't want to eat the flowers...lol). I've got mine 4 females and 3 males growing on a 7' by 10' by 1 1/2 foot arbor. I also have a Canadice grape growing up the side the male kiwi are on (it has already fruited, last year).

They're vigorous, but nothing compared to the Sweet Autumn Clematis I have on another arbor. It could eat the kiwi and grapes alive and not even look back.

~Chills

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My male is growing like crazy up the trellis. The female is just a wee thing a few inches tall. I am hoping to see some fruit this year. No flowers yet though, but maybe it's just too early? Should I prune the male, or even the female at all?

Chey

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks