Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My New Edible Formal Garden

Posted by natureboy8888 Portland, OR (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 13:33

Hi Gang,

I just wanted to share what I accomplished in my edible landscaping - well it's really more formal than landscape. I turned my front yard into a formal edible garden. I kind of wanted to prove that you can have an edible formal garden that's just as beautiful (and more useful) as an ornamental garden. I put up a blog showing the progress of the transformation, you can find it here...

Allan Family Garden

Here's a before picture:

Here's a few after pictures:

More pictures and stories on the blog.

-Bryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My New Edible Formal Garden

It looks very nice and suits the house well. I originally thought about having a formal design for my garden, but in the end the space was too asymmetric to suit it, so I went for a curve-based design instead.

I love before and after pictures. I've got a few of my garden, which had to be completely redone after I had a digger in replacing a retaining wall. There link here is to the "before" shots (they are thumbnails, click to get a larger view). If you click the blog title it will take you to the most recent posts which show the "after". Of course it is only early spring here so it looks a bit bare, but hopefully in a few months it will be nice and lush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before photos of my edible landscape

o

Beautiful and practical!! Well done.

o

Very inspiring! For a very small space like that you can harvest different kinds of crops. You're an excellent gardener.

o

I went to your blog and smiled the whole way through. Your garden is lovely. I love your attention to detail, all the way down to the angle of the pickets, and the beautiful red fence post caps. Your garden makes me wish I'd gone with a different design for mine (or some design. Period. Lol), but since mine was thought up on a whim, it'll have to do. Next time though, I'll be turning to your blog for ideas!

o

Such an inspiration. Feel blessed to have found your posting.

Do you have deer or other critters that feed in your garden? If so, what deterents have you employed?

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

o

That's crazy! Instead of a lawn to mow, you have fruits and vegetables to eat! Nice work!

o

I too am happy I happened onto your post. Lovely
garden. Gives me lots of ideas and inspiration. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/575578430PXcgMP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here