Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

Zone 9/10 Edible Landscape

jll0306
17 years ago

If you are gardening in these zones, what edible landscape have you had good successes with?

Comments (8)

• jll0306
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, what a verdant garden you have! It will really be an Eden when everything is mature. Lucky you to live where you have rain most every month of the year.

I'm looking for ideas for desert landscaping, where it can be 120 degrees in the midsummer, and below freezing at night in the winter. Do you think your trees would make it here? If so, I'd love some seeds.

Jan

• shadowfast82_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

That person is an idiot. central Florida is NOTHING like high desert california..im in the valley and wondering the same- 120 degrees and forget to water once and everything dies.. what grows here good? to eat? i notice hot peppers grow good- as do some tomatoes.. carrots, radish do great. sunflowers and potatoes too.

• fu_aboveu_com
    13 years ago

"landscaper to have our circular driveway lined with coconut palms." -thats the dumbest landscaping idea ever. do you know what coconut palm trees produce??? what goes in the driveway? 1+1 = ???

• Kevin Reilly
    13 years ago

lol, strange bump.....

"That person is an idiot."

come on man, OP asked for zone 9/10 edible landscaping. so someone chimed in with what they grew in 9/10. interesting find from 5 years ago though :)

• Agriscaper
    13 years ago

I'm in the Desert Southwest (Phoenix Arizona) I've been growing here for 25 years in alkaline-clay soil and consult regularly with gardeners and edible landscaping companies from here to LA.
    Here's a list of what I'm harvesting this winter from my
    Elegant Edible Landscape (HOA approved):
    White Kale
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Edible Pansies
    Cabbage
    Rosemary
    Basil
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Parsley
    Natal Plum
    Oranges
    Beets
    Swiss Chard
    Yellow Bell Tomatoes
    Chives
    Peas
    Aloe Vera

And Right now I'm planting:
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    Blue Berries (in pots)
    Artichokes, Globe (T)
    Artichokes, Jerusalem (T)
    Asparagus (T)
    Beets
    Bok Choy
    Carrots
    Chard (T)
    Collard Greens
    Kohlrabi (T)
    Lettuce (TS)
    Mustard
    Bulb Onions (sets)
    Green Onions
    Peas
    Potatoes
    Radishes
    Spinach
    Sunflowers
    STRAWBERRIES (Starts)
    Turnips
    pumpkin

I'm also starting a bunch more varieties indoors to get a jump on spring plantings so as to improve my harvest before the 120 heat kicks in late May.

Afternoon shaded-beds are best for your summer gardens.
    And be encouraged... you can grow year round, and harvest year-round once you get the schedule and watering right.

I Hope this helps.

Growing With Delight,

~Justin
    The Elegant Edible Landscaper

Here is a link that might be useful: More on Elegant Edible Landscaping

• pinky21
    13 years ago

Winter is definitely a wonderful growing time here in the So Cal, (LA area) Valley. I know the high desert is more of a challenge due to extremes in temps.
    I'm growing peas, salad greens, beets, carrots, strawberries, fennel, parsley, chard, brussels sprouts, and am getting ready to start seedlings for May planting, tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, eggplants, and beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: here is my blog

• Unnati Hall
    5 years ago

Mommystuff, I found this thread from 13 years ago and I was wondering if you had any seeds to share. Your garden must be absolutely stunning right now! I bought a house and we're moving in soon and I've got a bunch of pots I've started various fruits and veggies in that I plan on putting gin the ground when I move. Our zone is 9. I would love any seeds for fruit I can get my hands on. Thanks!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH