Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edible ginger

Posted by ObiaMan Zone9 S. Louisiana (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 14:52

I love ginger and know it has many medicinal qualities. I also grow 2 vastly different types of ginger and want to know if I can eat either. The first looks exactly like pics of an edible ginger. It makes beautiful pinkish flowers before the tall green leaves come out. I just went out and dug up a root and peeled it. Very yellow, but smells and tastes just like pinesol. Heating it the microwave really brings out the pinesol smell. Makes me want to go mop something.

The other grows more like a tall stalk with one large leaf every few inches up the stalk. Then it make a big red seed cluster, sort of like a pine cone. Each of the seed sections makes a beautiful delicate white flower. Later you see the black seeds in each red tube. That root peeled is pure white, sort of spongy, with virtually no smell or taste.

I would love to know as much about these two ginger as possible. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edible ginger

The one with the pine cone thing is actually called pine cone ginger. I am curious too, which one is the edible one.

o

i have also wondered about this.
maybe someone will come along with more info about which types are best for eating.

you might try starting store bought ginger, usually you can get this to grow. i have seen two types in the store, the common fat type that we all know and a skinnier version that was being called "Hawaiian ginger" which was very much like the other kind in taste. i have gotten those to start but being just out its comfort zone being a bit cold it died in the winter.

now i am thinking i might try again but in pots so they could be protected in the winter....

o

Tumeric is curcuma longa which sounds similar to your first description except the flower is white not pink. Shampoo ginger which is what your second plant sounds like isn't edible to my knowledge. A liquid can be squeezed out of the cones and used as soap or shampoo. I love this plant but it really doesn't produce very much.

Be careful with common names. I have heard many gingers called hawaiian ginger.

o

How would I start store bought ginger? Thanks

o

I have found that ginger from an Indian grocery store starts sprouting when sitting on my kitchen counter. I placed some of these shoots in the garden during the summer and plants grew. Sadly, the ginger plants did not like being in a pot in my house for the winter and did not thrive. I will try ginger root sprouts again next spring outside in a sunny area. Ginger from the traditional grocery store appears to sprout less and I am guessing that a sprouting inhibitor chemical is the reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here