Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edibles by driveway?

Posted by Richard1973 WNY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 15:40

Hey all. We're trying to figure out what to do with a strip (3' x 35') by our driveway. One possibility is planting some raspberries, strawberries and/or herbs. What are y'all's opinions about edibles by driveways? Do you worry about exhaust fumes contaminating the goodies? Is it worse for low plants like strawberries?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edibles by driveway?

I probably would avoid putting edibles in the vicinity of exhaust fumes. Even if the food were safe to eat, it might have an unpleasant taste from the fumes.

I do, however, use strawberries throughout untrafficked areas of my yard as a groundcover because it performs that function so well in addition to providing food.

You might consider using a non-edible groundcover, such as a low-growing veronica, along your driveway if veronica grows well in your area.

o

My grandparents have a raspberry tangle lining the driveway, it's quite common where they live (Monterey,CA) to have this as yards are quite small. The berries still taste great, and as an aside, the berries host a large preying mantis colony ! So no pesticides needed. paradise, eh? Monterey. Maybe I will move there to retire :)
PP

o

To keep things in perspective, as a rule with the presence of catalytic converters cars have cleaner exhaust systems compared to lawnmowers and chainsaws. Unless, your driveway has lots of traffic, I would not be too concerned about fume contamination of plants bordering the driveway.

o

You might try ground cherries. They are in a husk, thus somewhat protected from exhaust fumes.

o

Some cars are really clean now, if you have a newer model than it's putting out less crap than your lawnmower, leaf blower. Plant something to eat!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here